This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Weird .dll errors...

#1hamchunkPosted 10/13/2013 7:32:36 AM
For a while now I've been getting strange .dll errors when I try to run games that are a little older such as Crysis, Burnout Paradise and mirrors edge. When I try to start the games it says "d3dx9_37.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error."
I already did a windows refresh install but this did nothing to help, many games work perfectly fine but several give this same error. Would a full reinstall of windows fix this problem? I'm pretty sure I don't have a virus or anything like that but I did have some startup problems when I first built this pc and I'm thinking that could have corrupted some system files.
I'd rather not reinstall Windows if there's another way to resolve this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.
---
Over the top!
Live: Hamchunk PSN: Hamchunk 81
#2wildog2006Posted 10/13/2013 7:33:44 AM
directx error?

don't try updating directx
---
Insert generic offensive/slightly racist/holier than thou/fanboy/douchebag/elitist comment here.
#3hamchunk(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2013 7:36:45 AM
Forgot to mention my system is
I5 3570
8 gb
Windows 8 64
660ti
I've tried repairing the file system through the command prompt and it did find issues but said they were fixed. All of my drivers and Windows are up to date and trying to reinstall directx won't do anything because the installer closes when it finds that I have a current version.
---
Over the top!
#4Rolen47Posted 10/13/2013 7:46:21 AM(edited)
Try moving d3dx9_37.dll somewhere and then run the DirectX installer. Perhaps if it can't find d3dx9_37.dll in the System32 folder then it will reinstall a good copy. If it doesn't work you can move it back.
#5hamchunk(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2013 7:54:26 AM
Good idea, can't believe I didn't try that before.
After moving the file I could update directx but after the install I'm still getting the error...
---
Over the top!
#6hamchunk(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2013 9:14:06 AM
Just ran the sfc /scannow command again and it reports the file system is clean. Man, I hate wiping everything and starting over. Any other ideas how I might fix this problem?
---
Over the top!
#7a_Wizards_BakerPosted 10/13/2013 9:19:33 AM(edited)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/run-directx-diagnostic-tool

DxDiag tool? Give that a shot, perhaps it'll give you an error under 'notes'. Otherwise you can probably track down good versions of the .dll files and just replace them yourself.
#8hamchunk(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2013 4:06:52 PM
Got it to work!
I had to go in and delete the .dll in the system32 and the sysWOW64 directory then update directx. Thank you all so much for the help. Next Humble Bundle I'm going to be giving out some keys to show my appreciation.
---
Over the top!