This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pretty amazing how graphics haven't evolved much since 7 years ago. (pic)

#21BogePosted 10/13/2013 12:35:44 PM
You can only get to "realism" before graphics do not improve. The closer we get to that, the slower that progression will seem.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#22DaedalusExPosted 10/13/2013 1:18:44 PM(edited)
Boge posted...
You can only get to "realism" before graphics do not improve. The closer we get to that, the slower that progression will seem.

There's more to graphics than making good looking screenshots. I imagine it's been possible to render photorealistic objects for some time, the problem is that you couldn't render very many of them before framerates took a dive.

And that's the thing, graphics are "improving" but the scopes of games are shrinking to accommodate. Who the hell cares if graphics are photorealistic when the whole game takes place in a hallway? Publishers do, because it makes for good screenshots, but it's ultimately limiting game design.

I really wish developers would focus more on graphic 'bandwidth' rather than quality. Imagine a war game where you're fighting in a huge open city, with thousands of unique planes flying overhead and thousands of unscripted events occurring around you simultaneously. That's what we should be working toward, not more photorealistic hallways.
#23dekouPosted 10/13/2013 2:01:07 PM
DaedalusEx posted...
And that's the thing, graphics are "improving" but the scopes of games are shrinking to accommodate. Who the hell cares if graphics are photorealistic when the whole game takes place in a hallway? Publishers do, because it makes for good screenshots, but it's ultimately limiting game design.

The current visual leaders are Battlefield 3, The Witcher 2 and Crysis 3, all of which are very open-ended games. I bet The Witcher 3 and Battlefield 4 will be next in line and TW3 will be an open world game, while BF4 is also very open in multiplayer.

As for the OP, vanilla Crysis doesn't look great in comparison to modern games and runs like crap. Sure, it's pretty, but the cost in gameplay quality and performance isn't something I'd be willing to take. I'd play FarCry 3 over Crysis 3 anytime.
#24DillMan926Posted 10/13/2013 2:14:02 PM
Well it kind of makes sense. What is the absolute best something can look? 100% lifelike. That is the ceiling, it can't get better. We are getting closer, but the steps along the way are less and less discernible.
---
-Death is certain, Life is not
-Religion emphasizes faith because if people used logic they would see through the crap
#25_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/13/2013 2:17:28 PM
I believe we will get to a point where it is the talent of the artists and the budget of the production that become the limiting factor. Not saying we have reached that point yet, but it does stand to reason that as more things are possible graphically, we see a decrease in graphical improvement over the years.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#26sirtonnePosted 10/13/2013 2:19:25 PM
The bigger question: how long until gamers evolve and stop judging games by such shallow superficial standards?
#27MarikhenPosted 10/13/2013 2:52:45 PM
sirtonne posted...
The bigger question: how long until gamers evolve and stop judging games by such shallow superficial standards?

Around the same time the human species evolves to no longer be as shallow and superficial as it currently is. Given that we've slowed down the rate at which we adapt to our environments by adapting our environments to us that will be a very, very long time from now.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#28Bellum_SacrumPosted 10/13/2013 3:05:28 PM
sirtonne posted...

If they did we'd still be playing PS1/PS2 games and early Bioware/Black Isle titles on PC.

Wait, I made that sound like a bad thing.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#29LazyyAmericanPosted 10/13/2013 3:44:50 PM
I'd be a rich man every time I heard some peasant spout off that same old drivel about gameplay>graphics.....
---
Quite the dilemma....to coexist in a world that ostracizes you into obscurity
#30Bellum_SacrumPosted 10/13/2013 4:17:50 PM
LazyyAmerican posted...
I'd be a rich man every time I heard some peasant spout off that same old drivel about gameplay>graphics.....

You done gone full derp Billy-Bob.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."