This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I game on a laptop, it's not as bad as you guys make it out to be...

#1harcoreblazerPosted 10/13/2013 2:52:29 PM
I've played Saints Row 3, Civilization V, WoW, Dota 2, Outlast, both Amnesia games, Anomaly: Warzone Earth, and i don't have any problems (I always play with the charger connected though).
---
PSN/Steam = retrohunter95.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS4HQWWuqP8&feature=youtu.be
#2harcoreblazer(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2013 2:52:56 PM
Oh, and Team Fortress 2.
---
PSN/Steam = retrohunter95.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS4HQWWuqP8&feature=youtu.be
#3_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/13/2013 3:40:46 PM(edited)
No one said you can not game on a laptop. There are plenty of laptops available that have pretty good performance.

The critique you find here on "gaming laptops" revolves around them not being upgrade-able, them being very expensive, and them usually being so large and heavy that they are in many ways inferior to cheaper solutions for an everyday laptop.

They are a niche product, because for the cost of a high end gaming laptop you can build a PC and buy a cheaper laptop and be better off. Unless you actually need a portable gaming device that you can use in different locations. That does happen, I owned one myself when I used to live in dorms. Both because of limited space and because I traveled a lot. But unless necessary, they are a subpar solution.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#4pronouncemynamePosted 10/13/2013 3:52:50 PM
A laptop has been my only PC the past 18 months. I've yet to play a game it can't run, but with a 560m as my graphics card that'll likely end next year.

I plan on making a desktop my next PC though.
#5greenyoshi46Posted 10/13/2013 3:53:39 PM
My laptop runs minecraft on the lowest settings at 15fps ^^
---
Travis Touchdown WILL be in SSB4. You heard it here first!
#6Sir_Burpalot21Posted 10/13/2013 4:05:26 PM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
No one said you can not game on a laptop. There are plenty of laptops available that have pretty good performance.

The critique you find here on "gaming laptops" revolves around them not being upgrade-able, them being very expensive, and them usually being so large and heavy that they are in many ways inferior to cheaper solutions for an everyday laptop.

They are a niche product, because for the cost of a high end gaming laptop you can build a PC and buy a cheaper laptop and be better off. Unless you actually need a portable gaming device that you can use in different locations. That does happen, I owned one myself when I used to live in dorms. Both because of limited space and because I traveled a lot. But unless necessary, they are a subpar solution.

Exactly. I used a high performance laptop in college, but that thing wasn't very portable for a laptop.
Now I have my gaming PC for all my high performance needs and a tablet for all of my on-the go needs. I also have a portable Logitech Bluetooth keyboard for those occasions when I plan to type a lot when I'm out.
If my needs change I'll probably see about getting a new laptop, but for now my tablet fulfills that niche.
---
"Jack Tretton, chief executive of Sony Computer Entertainment America, says he is pleased to see so many unsold PS3s sitting on shelves." -IGN
#7snkboiPosted 10/13/2013 4:08:13 PM
pronouncemyname posted...
A laptop has been my only PC the past 18 months. I've yet to play a game it can't run, but with a 560m as my graphics card that'll likely end next year.

metro last light 1080p ultra graphics
crysis 3 1080p ultra graphics
battlefield 4 1080p ultra graphics

stop lying to yourself
---
i think it's nice
#8rusty12000Posted 10/13/2013 4:18:59 PM
My laptop plays games fairly well, doesn't have the power or airflow of my desktop though.
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM
#9BogePosted 10/13/2013 5:06:57 PM
My brothers have been gaming on a laptop for like 5 years or so, the same system. I know it's on a 9800gtx I think. They don't seem to mind too much, and only have found a couple of games that are not fun to play on it.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#10StormKMDPosted 10/13/2013 5:15:48 PM
snkboi posted...
pronouncemyname posted...

metro last light 1080p ultra graphics
crysis 3 1080p ultra graphics
battlefield 4 1080p ultra graphics

stop lying to yourself

"I've yet to play a game it can't run" doesn't mean he owns those games, nor does it mean he has 1080p. He didn't even say anything about graphics or performance either...
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430