This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When 4K is the Standard for PC, is there Any Reason to Go Higher with Res..?

#71SenkoyPosted 10/16/2013 4:47:41 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
Senkoy posted...
A lot of people wont even be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 4k, so it's going to be hard to sell 8k. We'll just see how it goes.

This are the same people who think 1080p is 360 pixels more than 720p, and that monitors are a waste of money because TV's are bigger, and that humans see in frames per seconds (up to 30)

AKA peasants, who gives a **** about them?

The people who make the technology, that's who. If the "peasants", as you so call them, that happen to be the majority of people can't tell the different between 1080p and 4k (not saying they won't, but if they don't) then 4k will not sell. And if it doesn't sell, then 8k most likely wouldn't either, so technology makers wouldn't bother.

I'm not sure how 4k will turn out, but if it's not successful, it's fair to say we won't see 8k.
---
My fight stick: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2687/sdc10110k.jpg
My team combos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoD7BvGUOE
#72ZeroRaiderPosted 10/16/2013 6:07:10 PM
The majority of people can't telling the difference between PC gaming and console gaming, yet here we are.

8K will turn out fine... some day.
#73YukitoRamboPosted 10/16/2013 6:09:09 PM
ZeroRaider posted...
My TV is 46" and is about 4 feet (120cm) away.

...No wonder you see jaggies...
---
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed" - Alexander Pope
#74MarikhenPosted 10/16/2013 7:14:22 PM
I feel sad having to make do with a 19" 1440x900 monitor 18" or so in front of me, and another similar monitor to its right, and a 1280x1024 19" monitor to its left, and a 17" LCD TV running 1280x1024 above it. :-(
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#75SenkoyPosted 10/16/2013 7:40:55 PM
ZeroRaider posted...
The majority of people can't telling the difference between PC gaming and console gaming, yet here we are.

8K will turn out fine... some day.

But there are enough people that can tell the difference to make PC gaming profitable, and that's what I'm saying. Will there be enough people for that? I'm not saying there won't, key thing here. I'm NOT saying there will or will not be enough people, all I'm saying is that that will be what determines if we get 8k or not.
---
#76ZeroRaiderPosted 10/16/2013 8:11:23 PM
YukitoRambo posted...
ZeroRaider posted...
My TV is 46" and is about 4 feet (120cm) away.

...No wonder you see jaggies...

Exactly. Why on earth would you sit so far away from such a small screen?

I like my screen to take up the bulk of my field of vision instead of having to squint at some panel off in the distance with a vast white wall surrounding the bulk of my field of view.

I will never understand why people sit so far away from their screens unless they are absolutely gigantic - 84"+

Anyways, I can't wait for 4K to get here because I can count the pixels on a 1080p display.
#77DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/16/2013 8:43:53 PM
OreoBoy206 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
OreoBoy206 posted...
What benefit would they get from downplaying resolution? People are going to calibrate their displays regardless of what resolution the screen is. I just don't see how resolution of a screen would hurt their business in a way that would force them to lie about its significance.

Because if someone spends $5000 on a HDTV, they won't have the extra money left over to buy their $1000 calibration kit.
It's all about playing up the importance of their money-sink over everyone else's money-sink.

If that was the case then why would they pick contrast ratio as their most important aspect of picture quality? HDTVs that have great contrast ratios are usually some of the most expensive TVs to buy last time I checked.. Sharp Elite ($6000), Pioneer Elite ($5000 used), and the Panasonic ZT60 ($3000) produce the best contrast ratios for HDTVs currently on the market.

I don't think it would be a great idea to promote contrast ratio as the most important aspect if their main objective was to get people to spend less on the TV and use the money they have left over on ISF calibration. Besides ISF's main way of making money is by training people for ISF certification so trainees can make a legit business out of calibrating displays once finished. The average Joe interested in calibration is not going to spend thousands to get certified but will most likely hire someone already ISF certified to calibrate the TV for them which is significantly cheaper then getting ISF certified your self.

Because that's an aspect handled by their calibration software. In fact, the only thing display calibration doesn't affect is *shock* resolution.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#78TimePharaohPosted 10/16/2013 10:09:07 PM
Senkoy posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
Senkoy posted...
A lot of people wont even be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 4k, so it's going to be hard to sell 8k. We'll just see how it goes.

This are the same people who think 1080p is 360 pixels more than 720p, and that monitors are a waste of money because TV's are bigger, and that humans see in frames per seconds (up to 30)

The people who make the technology, that's who. If the "peasants", as you so call them, that happen to be the majority of people can't tell the different between 1080p and 4k (not saying they won't, but if they don't) then 4k will not sell. And if it doesn't sell, then 8k most likely wouldn't either, so technology makers wouldn't bother.

I'm not sure how 4k will turn out, but if it's not successful, it's fair to say we won't see 8k.

The stupid people were saying there's no different between DVD and "blueray", and still don't understand resolution.

Yet look at the HDTV/BluRay growth rate now.

It's not a matter of if they can actually tell a difference or not, it matters if it's "new" and the "hot thing". You can make stupid people think they want anything even if they don't understand it (eg. the masses of Art student college kids with Macbooks and use it for facebook and word-ripoff).

4k already exists. These 100"+TV's already exist. It's the intelligent people that make the technology for the intelligent people, and then tell the stupid people they want it.

Pick your camp buddy.
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#79SenkoyPosted 10/17/2013 2:18:09 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
Senkoy posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
Senkoy posted...

The stupid people were saying there's no different between DVD and "blueray", and still don't understand resolution.

Yet look at the HDTV/BluRay growth rate now.

It's not a matter of if they can actually tell a difference or not, it matters if it's "new" and the "hot thing". You can make stupid people think they want anything even if they don't understand it (eg. the masses of Art student college kids with Macbooks and use it for facebook and word-ripoff).

4k already exists. These 100"+TV's already exist. It's the intelligent people that make the technology for the intelligent people, and then tell the stupid people they want it.

Pick your camp buddy.

You make valid points, but the difference between 480p and 1080p were far more pronounced than that between 1080p and 4k, that most people, not just the idiots the buy stuff because it's "new" bought it. The question is, will the non-idiots think 4k is worth it?

But maybe you're right, there might be enough people that will buy it just because it's new to bring about 8k. We'll see.
---
#80nightshadeAPosted 10/17/2013 2:18:31 AM
Loshadt posted...
There is always a point in advancing, and there is no such thing as good enough. When 4k becomes the standard a new standard will be on the horizon, and so on and so forth. At some point people thought a couple of gigabytes was all the space you would ever need, now building a system with anything less than 500 GB is considered crazy.

when I had my last desktop it was a p1-120 and i bought a 1.5 gig hd and it being the mid 90s i put all my games (50+) on it and it still wasnt half full so i declared that wed never have games that needed that much space.... boy did i lie ....
---
theres no point in telling me the wisdom of fool wont set me free"neworder
"mr zurkon dosent shoot and ask questions later asking questions is stupid