This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Well, I tried to give AMD a chance.

#1HarryMaySinPosted 10/13/2013 9:12:52 PM
Today i went and purchased a new motherboard along with an AMD FX 8350 in hopes of bumping my gaming performance.

Drove 60 miles to buy this stuff from microcenter (also bought a hard drive that was dead on arrival lol)

Anyways, got back home... installed everything.... booted up my pc and what happens?

WHOOOSHHHHHHHHHH BRSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The cpu sounds like a miniature vacuum cleaner.... seriously no computer should sound this loud EVER no matter what circumstances... did AMD even bother to test their fans before shipping this out?????!?!?!?

You would think that with that insane amount of blowing going on in there the CPU would at least be chill but it was idling above 40 degrees celsius!!!

I tried messing around with the tweaking utility and the bios on my motherboard. Turned fan control down to level 1/10 and its still pretty loud... I thought ok this is still kind of loud but tolerable.

Booted up WoW and after 10 seconds i hear the CPU revving back up.... until eventually the CPU fan is louder than the game itself!

-So this is supposed to be a "value CPU" because it is 20 dollars less than its intel counter-part.

But, I'm pretty sure the intel counter-part doesnt have such a garbage fan and therefore you actually save 20-40 bucks just by going with the intel chip, lol.

I have left them an e-mail asking if I could return these parts tomorrow for an intel cpu/mobo.

I have used AMD and Intel in the past. overall, I've been upset with AMD TWICE now and intel always pleases.

Perhaps I just got a defective unit (because WOW SERIOUSLY GUYS.. it is LOUD enough to make you angry...you can hear it over a tv in the same room, you can hear it in another room with doors closed.) but regardless... if they let me trade it in for intel i WILL.

I am so bummed, it just blows my mind how such a large and successful company can do this to their customers.

-Hey guys come buy our amazing processors!
-They are great price/performance wise!
-Only setback is we had to use miniature leaf blowers to cool them off because..... well we really dont know why we could have spent 5 more dollars making it sound reasonalbe BUT BUY OUR STUFF ANYWAYS!
#2SteamsterPosted 10/13/2013 9:14:25 PM
S*** happens
#3Snuckie7Posted 10/13/2013 9:14:27 PM
Literally not buying Intel from Microcenter. You probably deserved it.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#4Orestes417Posted 10/13/2013 9:19:13 PM(edited)
Your first issue is you're using stock cooling. If you can afford a halfway decent system the very least you can do is grab a 212 evo. The second issue is using WoW as a reference point. Go throw something modern enough to use multi threading at it.

I'm half tempted to do an AMD build ATM due to Intel playing cute games with extensions. Whomever decided the k series shouldn't use vt-d can go **** themself
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#5Darkcloud20Posted 10/13/2013 9:17:23 PM
Did you actually put the fan on the right way. I had it happen a few times with Intel coolers that they where hitting the cable around them creating a loud noise.
---
http://raptr.com/Darkcloud1987
#6HarryMaySin(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2013 9:22:19 PM
Darkcloud20 posted...
Did you actually put the fan on the right way. I had it happen a few times with Intel coolers that they where hitting the cable around them creating a loud noise.

Yes, its on there correctly I am sure.

- I have used stock cooling 2/3 times on previous builds and they were always fine.

-If this garbage cpu blows up while playing WoW it will probably nuke my house while playing bioshock infinite.

- Yes, i admit... i feel like such a pile of crap for buying this garbage heap when the intel processors were just feet away =[ I am stupid.
#7HarryMaySin(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2013 9:22:49 PM
Steamster posted...
S*** happens

Only with AMD products it seems.
#8NicodimusPosted 10/13/2013 9:32:30 PM(edited)
So...you're judging the CPU by the stock fan? I don't understand. The stock coolers for every CPU are poor at best. Get a 212 Evo on that thing.

Also, idle temps are pretty meaningless unless there is a catastrophic failure. You need to do a stress test and see what it's like under load (I recommend AIDA64 for doing the test and monitoring the temps.)

---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#9SteamsterPosted 10/13/2013 9:30:26 PM
HarryMaySin posted...
Steamster posted...
S*** happens

Only with AMD products it seems.

Well when you've only bought one of their products and got unlucky, then yes only with AMD.

Fact is, statistics don't work that way. I'm sorry you got s*** for luck, but that can happen with literally any item you ever buy.
#10Last Grand MageX2Posted 10/13/2013 9:36:33 PM
Stock coolers are always bad, and AMD CPUs run really hot because of number of cores and clockspeed of their CPUs. This is because you thought the stock cooler would be enough, when anyone should know it's not.
---
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch