This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do you think MMOs suck?

#21Benjamin_ButtonPosted 10/14/2013 12:14:55 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
DetectivPenguin posted...
It's not that MMOs inherently suck

It's actually exactly that

---
http://i.imgur.com/KNzJR.gif
Macbook Pro Retina i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz | Nvidia 650m 1GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR3L Ram | 750GB Flash Storage
#22strife14467Posted 10/14/2013 12:45:09 AM
For me the biggest problem is repetition. I can enjoy the games up to a certain point, but after a while I get bored no matter how good the game actually is. In the games I've played you have to keep doing the same stuff over and over again to get equipment for your characters. Then if you decide to make more than one character you just end up repeating all of the same stuff all over again. I know the MM in MMO stands for Massively Multiplayer, but a lot of times I like being able to do things on my own and not have to rely on a bunch of other people to get things done.

I still play WoW and even Everquest, but I usually only play them maybe 2 or 3 times a week. I used to play them every single day, but I just don't have the patience for them anymore.
---
my consoles: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Master System, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PS3, and XBOX
#23FeatherwindPosted 10/14/2013 1:31:52 AM
MMOs often suffer from dogmatic and pointless design. I don't get why they have to try to waste the player's time with grinding and repetition.

The second game I would make if I was a video game developer would be a MMORPG that is convenient to play and has minimum time spent on trivial and repetitive tasks. No leveling, no WoW style questing, little to no farming trivial enemies etc. I'm sure it's possible to make a game like this. The problem with current MMORPGs like FFXIV is not that they don't have enough areas, graphics and things like that. It's that they are never used efficiently and smartly which forces the devs to implement shallow grinds. First they "waste" all the pre-level 50 dungeons and other content in inefficient and shallow way then force you to run the mindless Castrum Meridianum 40 times. The areas and their quests just hold you back from getting to level 50 - the leveling process is just a test of patience and dedication.
---
pathological
#24kjellboyPosted 10/14/2013 1:33:23 AM
Why MMOs sucks: Toxic players. Ruining other players game experience. This is something that, as far as I can see, isn't dealt with by the respective company.
---
| Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V Pro | CPU: Intel i5 2500k | GPU: Asus DirectCU II OC GTX 680 | RAM: 8 GB | I know that the motherboard is a bottleneck.
#25DaedalusExPosted 10/14/2013 1:36:52 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
"Kill X and collect Y of Z"

Do that quest 10,000 times.

Having fun yet?

Leveling sucks, no denying that, but end game raiding and stat management are unparalleled in any other genre.
#26Brutal_Felix(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 2:21:12 AM
DaedalusEx posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
"Kill X and collect Y of Z"

Do that quest 10,000 times.

Having fun yet?

Leveling sucks, no denying that, but end game raiding and stat management are unparalleled in any other genre.

And MOBAs took the shinning gem of MMORPGs and got rid of all the pointless s*** around it.
---
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz // ASRock Z77 Extreme4 // Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256 GB // Ripjaws X Series 8 GB // Razer DeathAdder 2013
#27blakegallowayPosted 10/14/2013 2:42:02 AM(edited)
Brutal_Felix posted...
blakegalloway posted...
DetectivPenguin posted...
It's not that MMOs inherently suck but it seems like this topic is just begging people to list the flaws of WoW.

Or whine about horrible F2P disasters and imply that all MMOs are just as bad.

Name 3 that avoid my cons

WoW, SWTOR, Warhammer Online, Conan, and EVE online all have/had a plot. Most MMO's do unless you skip quest dialogue and grind as fast as possible to max level. They all have character development as well. Unless you skip quest dialogue and grind as fast as possible. I'm guessing purpose refers to both plot and character development. Cash shops aren't a problem in good MMO's. They can bad in the F2P disasters I referred to.

And as for a monthly fee? Obviously I can tell it won't matter to you, but I like them for multiple reasons. For one it provides cash flow and gives the Devs/programmers even more reasom to keep working in hopes of maintaining a player base. Also it helps keep out children and people who don't want to be there.
---
Sometimes death comes knocking.
Sometimes it tears down the walls.
#28MadPinoRagePosted 10/14/2013 9:59:54 AM
I don't think well made MMOs suck. I just don't have the time to dedicate to a regular schedule to meet up and play with other people or work on my characters' skills and equipment.
---
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein
#29jake-sfPosted 10/14/2013 10:01:11 AM
Almost every MMO I've seen would have been 50 times better if they were just made into an action adventure RPG with coop. In fact, would they have done that and just reworked part of the game to fit the fact its no longer a MMO and push their combat systems a little further, all the while keeping the games PC exclusives?

Wow, golden games there.

Instead they're just crappy MMOs I'll never play twice.

Stupid ass world.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#30Mudkip57Posted 10/14/2013 10:02:21 AM
City of Heroes has been the only MMO I enjoyed. Still haven't found a good replacement, and City of Titans is too full of uncertainties