This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Playing Diablo 2 for the first time makes me very dissapointed in 3

#1GwynsSonSolairePosted 10/14/2013 3:30:51 AM
I loved diablo 3 ..

Iv only played D2 for 3 hours and it surpasses 3 in every single way.

Only negative i see in Diablo 2 is when you play online your whole screen gets covered in bot message spam.

Hopefully itemization 2.0 and the expansion atleast surpasses Path of exile, if not D2
---
If you believe in Allah and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#2luigi13579Posted 10/14/2013 5:06:46 AM
I also prefer D2, although I've played it for well over a decade. D3 is a decent game, but I just feel that D2 does itemization a lot better, and that's an extremely important element in games like this (itemization 2.0 seems promising though). I also prefer the story, characters and general atmosphere in D2 (they might not be the most important things in this sort of game, but they do help), as well as the Battle.net 1.0 interface.

However, if I'm being honest, I think that D2's glory days are over, which is to be expected given how old the game is As you said, spam is a real problem these days, even more so than in D3. The community has also seen much better days. It's made up mostly of bots nowadays tbqh. Then you have duping, hacks, etc. Not that D3 doesn't have some of these things, but they're not as big an issue there (yet).

I personally just play single player D2 now, to get away from all that nonsense. It has its advantages, like mods and the "/players x" command. The ATMA program really helps with item transferring. If you want a change, you also have total conversion mods like Median XL.

Oh, and some tips for the spam in D2:

- The N key clears your screen of text when in a game.
- The "/o igw" chat command blocks whispers from people not on your friend list (don't forget that you can turn it off with "/o unigw" though).
- If you add level restrictions to your game, you can block low level characters, which are often used for spam (although there are some that have been leveled up to get around that).
- And of course you have "/ignore *account_name" and "/ignore character_name" ("squelch" also works in place of "ignore"). As of patch 1.13, accounts/characters you ignore are remembered between sessions. This is mostly too much bother though, as there are so many spam accounts, with new ones being created all the time.
#3kingoffpsPosted 10/14/2013 5:18:12 AM
I've never played any Diablo games but I'm interested to try D2 due to how much people talk about it.

Am I right in thinking that it doesn't work well on modern displays though? I had this problem when trying to play the original StarCraft again recently.
---
i7 920 @ 3.6GHz, 3.8GHz (single-thread mode), MSI X58 Platinum, 6GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950 (1100/1450), 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
#4DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/14/2013 5:23:12 AM
kingoffps posted...
I've never played any Diablo games but I'm interested to try D2 due to how much people talk about it.

Am I right in thinking that it doesn't work well on modern displays though? I had this problem when trying to play the original StarCraft again recently.

Yeah its very ugly by today's standards. If you can push past the 5 hour mark you won't care anymore though. There is no clickfest rpg that is better. I liked torchlight 2 a lot but the aesthetics are not to my taste and I prefer the more realistic darker take on things d2 has.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#5luigi13579Posted 10/14/2013 5:49:29 AM
kingoffps posted...

Yeah, but it can be improved a bit.

I personally use this mod:

http://www.svenswrapper.de/english/index.html
#6NicodimusPosted 10/14/2013 5:52:21 AM
DV8ingSources posted...
There is no clickfest rpg that is better.

I really do think that Titan Quest is better overall. TQ didn't invent the genre, but I feel that it perfected the genre.
---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#7Born LuckyPosted 10/14/2013 5:59:10 AM
Nicodimus posted...
DV8ingSources posted...

I really do think that Titan Quest is better overall. TQ didn't invent the genre, but I feel that it perfected the genre.

Titan Quest is definitely better. So is Sacred 2.
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot
#8DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/14/2013 6:07:04 AM(edited)
Nicodimus posted...
DV8ingSources posted...

Titan Quest is a great game but it has serious pacing problems imo. No randomness to the maps also ruins any exploration in subsequent playthroughs.

Born Lucky posted...

So is Sacred 2.

I would almost agree if it weren't for the above as well. I liked sacred 2 a lot but it moves SO slow. Once you get your mount its not quite as bad but by that point you tend to feel quite powerful already and the rest of the game feels on the easy side (at least it did for me).

Devs need to realize just how important pacing is. Spending 4 hours in the same area with very little change gets boring. Both those games would have benefited a lot from having some random unique encounters or locations aside from generic cave or colored baddie.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#9NicodimusPosted 10/14/2013 6:08:52 AM
DV8ingSources posted...
Nicodimus posted...
DV8ingSources posted...

Titan Quest is a great game but it has serious pacing problems imo. No randomness to the maps also ruins any exploration in subsequent playthroughs.

Born Lucky posted...

So is Sacred 2.

I would almost agree if it weren't for the above as well. I liked sacred 2 a lot but it moves SO slow. Once you get your mount its not quite as bad but by that point you tend to feel quite powerful already and the rest of the game feels on the easy side (at least it did for me).

Devs need to realize just how important pacing is. Spending 4 hours in the same area with very little change gets boring. Both those games would have benefited a lot from having some random unique encounters or locations aside from generic cave or colored baddie.

Did you unlock the optional bosses on Legendary? I farmed the Hydra like a mofo once I could get to it.
---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#10Ha_D00DPosted 10/14/2013 6:26:40 AM
If you think you can handle it, I would give MedianXL Ultimative a shot. The D2 experience entirely redone.
---
HAF 922 | i5 3570k@4.3ghz | Hyper 212 Evo | P8Z77-V LK | Sapphire 7970 DualX@1150/1600 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws | SeaSonic 620w | Mushkin120GB |AND I PLAY CONSOLES