This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about switching to PC gaming after years of Playstation

#1freedreePosted 10/14/2013 5:06:33 AM
Hi guys, I have a little question for ya! Hopefully this hasn't been asked too many times.

I'm not really a big PC gamer, I only have a laptop that is just good enough for some recent games, without going into High level settings (Skyrim for example can be played at medium settings with about 30fps, the same for the Witcher 2). It's been good enough for the moment, as I also have a PS3, besides, my lappy wasn't bought just for gaming.

However, with next-gen consoles coming out, I'm starting to wonder in which direction I should go. I have a PS Vita and PS3. I've been considering just switching over completely to PC gaming (accompanied by my PSVita for portable games) by saving up and building a gaming PC (with help of course).

Question : Do you think building a high-quality PC, and maybe later getting a PS4 when it has gone down a lot in price is a good idea? I'm trying to go the most cost-effective route here, and I already know that Steam compensates a lot for that initial price.

Would something around the 800/$ mark be enough for a good PC?

Thanks for any advice :-D.
#2DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/14/2013 5:13:47 AM
freedree posted...
Question : Do you think building a high-quality PC, and maybe later getting a PS4 when it has gone down a lot in price is a good idea? I'm trying to go the most cost-effective route here, and I already know that Steam compensates a lot for that initial price.

Would something around the 800/$ mark be enough for a good PC?

Yes its a good idea. You may even find the ps4 to not be worth it later down the line. $800 might not be enough to build a next gen killer but if you pick your parts correctly it can allow for the headroom to do so later down the line. You should be able to get very similar performance to the next gen consoles on that budget though.

As you said, PC game sales are where the real money saving comes into play. The pc has the largest available library by far and you can enjoy games new and old. Once you have a few games in the backlog it becomes a lot easier to wait for sales too.

There are definitely some teething problems with being new to pc gaming but by far and large, the headaches that used to be synonymous with pc gaming have been reduced. Just ask here or on other pc oriented forums and someone will likely be willing to help with any problems you have.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#3MasterDonGeroPosted 10/14/2013 5:16:27 AM
Also, you don't have to pay an extra $50 to play online.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#4NicodimusPosted 10/14/2013 5:23:49 AM
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1OE7R

Here's one for around $800, just so you can get an idea. If you need a monitor/keyboard/mouse it would be more of course.
---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#5freedree(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 5:24:43 AM
Thanks, one thing that worries me the most is making a mistake in building the PC, as I've never done such a thing before lol.

I've heard sometimes that it is actually pretty simple if you follow instructions on the internet. Is that true? Is it really easy to screw up a part when trying to put the PC together?
#6kingoffpsPosted 10/14/2013 5:29:57 AM
freedree posted...
Thanks, one thing that worries me the most is making a mistake in building the PC, as I've never done such a thing before lol.

I've heard sometimes that it is actually pretty simple if you follow instructions on the internet. Is that true? Is it really easy to screw up a part when trying to put the PC together?

Stuff fits together very naturally. The only way to really do it wrong is if you jam it in when it's clearly not supposed to fit.
---
i7 920 @ 3.6GHz, 3.8GHz (single-thread mode), MSI X58 Platinum, 6GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950 (1100/1450), 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
#7DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/14/2013 5:30:16 AM
freedree posted...

Its quite easy these days. Everything has a place and generally speaking only fits in that place. The only tricky parts would be the TIM (thermal interface material) application which isn't so much difficult as something you should take care applying and the front case connectors which are explained in the motherboards manual.

Cable routing is tricky too if you are going for aesthetics but aren't as important.

I wouldn't worry about it much tbh. A couple videos will ease your mind and if you take your time there is little chance for a mistake.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#830aught6Posted 10/14/2013 5:36:46 AM
freedree posted...

Most things in life are.

Anyone, I mean anyone can build a PC. There are no technical skills involved at all, it's merely the assembling of parts.

Just make sure to take your time and vet all of the hardware you select. There are reviews for everything online if you search.
Don't forget that YT is a great resource for building your own PC; there are step-by-step build guides for first timers.

Kill Your Console
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUhdL-ITG-M

$1,500 build
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roFb3TNePIg

Good luck.
#9PhilOnDezPosted 10/14/2013 5:42:05 AM
The only ways I've heard of people breaking things are pure stupidity (spilling a drink into an open case for example), bad luck that buying a prebuilt wouldn't have done anything to prevent (dropping, not using a surge protector), or not being careful/trying to ship it with an oversized cooler. I'm sure someone out there has fried parts with static but I don't know anyone who has, and I don't think I've even seen anyone on here who's done it.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#10Tony_Biggie_PunPosted 10/14/2013 5:42:40 AM
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1OEo0
---
http://i.imgur.com/Z3MIjNj.jpg
You can tell a lot about a person based on how they treat the weaker members of society.