This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about switching to PC gaming after years of Playstation

#11NicodimusPosted 10/14/2013 6:47:01 AM
I killed a $210 motherboard this summer because I accidentally bent the pins in the CPU slot. That is the main area that you need to be extremely careful with. Most of the rest of it goes together like Legos (aside from some delicate mobo pins here and there for fans and the front panel.)
---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#12triple sPosted 10/14/2013 6:52:30 AM(edited)
I was pretty much a console gamer for well over 20 years before crossing over to PC gaming. I can say without a doubt, I could never go back to NOT being a PC gamer. There's so many benefits and game prices is one of them. Outside of a compatibility issue here and there, PC gaming is pretty much always backwards compatible which means a lot going into next gen IMO. I purchased around 50 Xbox Live Arcade and Xbox 360 digital games throughout the 360's lifespan. I'm getting the Xbox One but it's really crappy that all my digital downloads will forever be tied to my 360. With PC gaming, it's nice to know every game I purchase now I will have the ability to play generations from now. In the next 6 months I plan to get a 1440p monitor and it's nice to know that every game I own will be getting a boost in detail. With console gaming, the max resolution of the game will never increase over time as technology advances.

Then we get into emulation...
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#13SlaynPosted 10/14/2013 7:06:58 AM
Well first of all, you guys are all including American prices. He is in the UK. Your budget isn't bad, but do you need all accessories and a monitor? Keyboard, mouse, etc? Here is a good price/performance ratio computer:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1OEBl

It has everything you need except for monitor, keyboard, and mouse. If you need those, the prices of other components may be adjusted to fit your need.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#14freedree(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 7:08:25 AM
Wow, thanks for all the quick responses! :D
What about maintenance? Do you just open it up from time to time and dust it out?
#15TropicMoon10Posted 10/14/2013 7:11:24 AM
freedree posted...
What about maintenance? Do you just open it up from time to time and dust it out?

Depends on your environment. I would open it up after a month or so and see if there's a noticeable layer of dust on the fans and heatsink. Canned air or a mini vacuum works fine.
---
-TropicMoon - as humid as a summer's day on triton
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#16triple sPosted 10/14/2013 7:12:21 AM
freedree posted...

It doesn't hurt to do it every month. I'd also consider this:

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1381759878&sr=8-3&keywords=computer+duster
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#17kingoffpsPosted 10/14/2013 7:12:31 AM
freedree posted...

Loads of ways of doing it. Some people do as you said, and use a can of compressed air to blow the case free of dust.

I personally built my own dust filters that you velcro to the outside of the case, and occasionally run the vaccuum over these filters.

Whatever you do though, don't keep your PC directly on the floor. It should be elevated at least a little bit or it will get dusty 5x faster.

Btw I am a clean person.
---
i7 920 @ 3.6GHz, 3.8GHz (single-thread mode), MSI X58 Platinum, 6GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950 (1100/1450), 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
#18Tyranius2Posted 10/14/2013 7:15:50 AM
Just watch the newegg pc building videos
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[
#19SlaynPosted 10/14/2013 7:20:30 AM
I generally never touch my PC, unless there is a problem. I mean you can open it up and blow it out. I've never had a problem from dust, personally. The only issue is if something beaks, you're on your own. Not to say parts don't have warranties, but you need to figure out what the issue is. You can easily ask on here...

And putting it together is generally as simple as plugging parts in, like a big lego set. Parts usually cannot go in wrong, unless you force them. CPU? Goes in the CPU socket, clearly labeled in the instructions. Memory goes in memory slot, can't put it in wrong, keyed in a certain way. The big expansion slots, put the card in. The only tricky part is all the power supply connections, sometimes people forget one. Theres 2 on the motherboard ( one for board, one for cpu ), one for each drive, one or two for each video card. Then setting up the small stuff on the board, like power switch, reset switch, etc. Not too difficult, just very tiny switched.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#20freedree(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 7:32:05 AM
Slayn posted...
Well first of all, you guys are all including American prices. He is in the UK.

Haha, actually, I'm in France :P, but yeah, dollars don't really work for me but I can find a good site in France that is (sort of) equivalent to newegg (which I heard is the best).

Apparently this is a good french site: Grosbill.com

http://www.grosbill.com/4-grosbill_gb3g105_pour_commencer_dans_le_gaming-187743-ordinateurs_de_bureau-pc_gamer

Here is one example of a gamer pc built by this site. Do you think the price is what you'd expect if you bought the parts separately? This isn't what I'm looking for, but what do you think of the 499 price for such a machine?.

Just scroll down to the second half of the page to see the different components. Also, I think it's pre-built.

This may be all you need to know: Intel Core i3 3240 3.4Ghz/DDR3 Specktek 2*4Go/Seagate 1To 7200trs/mn/Sapphire ATI Radeon HD7770 1024Mo/Graveur DVD/microsoft clavier et souris (keyboard and mouse). 499.