This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it possible to "trick" a network into believing IPv4 is IPv6?

#1schadowPosted 10/14/2013 8:24:21 AM
My internet is capped and requires a login to log your usage, but only for IPv4 connections. IPv6 has completely free access though and bypasses the login prompt. Only a handful of sites support IPv6 though, so I'm not really at any advantage here...

My question is (I know absolutely nothing about this), is it possible to trick a network into believing it's an IPv6 connection, when it's not, to avoid spending my precious capped data? I'm thinking something like a VPN connection.

If it doesn't work like this at all, even by a long shot analogy, then just disregard all of this.
---
MageofBlood391 posted...
GameFAQs: Because if all else fails, you can always argue semantics.
#2StarksPosted 10/14/2013 8:52:32 AM
Teredo tunneling?
---
#otchat ~ https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/otchat
Mods/Gods 2013
#3ChetyrePosted 10/14/2013 11:31:24 AM
you can use a vpn/proxy that has only a ipv6 connection to you, but both on the other end. Redirect all your traffic through it.

You(ipv6) < > (ipv6)vpn(ipv4+6) <> Internet
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#4schadow(Topic Creator)Posted 10/15/2013 3:41:10 AM
But I guess it would suffer from the same drawbacks as VPN, i.e. ~99% reduction in speed? Would it be feasible for anything other than compatibility/testing?
---
MageofBlood391 posted...
GameFAQs: Because if all else fails, you can always argue semantics.
#5ChetyrePosted 10/15/2013 4:20:59 AM(edited)
You have a really damn terrible VPN if you don't get usable speeds... Your latency will of course suffer a lot, but as long as your VPN provider has enough bandwidth, speed is more than usable.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar