This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it possible to "trick" a network into believing IPv4 is IPv6?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it possible to "trick" a network into believing IPv4 is IPv6?
3 years ago#1
My internet is capped and requires a login to log your usage, but only for IPv4 connections. IPv6 has completely free access though and bypasses the login prompt. Only a handful of sites support IPv6 though, so I'm not really at any advantage here...

My question is (I know absolutely nothing about this), is it possible to trick a network into believing it's an IPv6 connection, when it's not, to avoid spending my precious capped data? I'm thinking something like a VPN connection.

If it doesn't work like this at all, even by a long shot analogy, then just disregard all of this.
MageofBlood391 posted...
GameFAQs: Because if all else fails, you can always argue semantics.
3 years ago#2
Teredo tunneling?
#otchat ~ https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/otchat
Mods/Gods 2013
3 years ago#3
you can use a vpn/proxy that has only a ipv6 connection to you, but both on the other end. Redirect all your traffic through it.

You(ipv6) < > (ipv6)vpn(ipv4+6) <> Internet
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
3 years ago#4
But I guess it would suffer from the same drawbacks as VPN, i.e. ~99% reduction in speed? Would it be feasible for anything other than compatibility/testing?
MageofBlood391 posted...
GameFAQs: Because if all else fails, you can always argue semantics.
3 years ago#5
You have a really damn terrible VPN if you don't get usable speeds... Your latency will of course suffer a lot, but as long as your VPN provider has enough bandwidth, speed is more than usable.
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it possible to "trick" a network into believing IPv4 is IPv6?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived