My boss is using a Pavilion Slimline S5-1414 desktop computer for whatever he does up there and it's been giving him some problems, I'm looking for some insight on how to proceed, or what could be causing it. Events over the past week.
This computer: http://tinyurl.com/mma75ke (Microcenter)
1) Nothing special installed on it, just Quickbooks, and a medical program we use up here that every computer runs here.
2) It basically froze last Thursday or Friday, computer was still on, but monitor went into sleep mode and could not be "woken". Ended up having to force a shutdown and restart the computer, everything worked fine after that.
3) He just told me a moment ago that it did it again, went in there, sure enough same issue, tried unplugging/plugging monitor back in, nothing, had to force shut down and restart.
4) He's complaining that it's running slower.
5) He's also convinced someone got into his office when he was out and changed some of his passwords, closed his email account, etc. (I think he just kept pushing stuff he doesn't remember), but that's a whole other story.
6) We recently had a network overhaul here, and since then a few programs we use via network have been "moody", but everyone else's computers are fine.
Any ideas what it could be? I'm basically about to go download a temp program and watch temps for a bit, but since it's not a constant issue it's hard to sit there and pin point the problem.
*EDIT* Hard drive maybe? Don't know why I didn't think of that.
#2Rexdragon125Posted 10/14/2013 10:28:15 AM
Probably hard drive. Windows tends to freeze as it waits for things from the drive that it never gets.
#3Lonestar2000Posted 10/14/2013 4:34:12 PM
Most likely RAM, HDD or malware. --- Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room. Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335