This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Keyboard controls...do you prefer WASD or Up/Down/Left/Right?

#1NicodimusPosted 10/14/2013 11:25:37 AM
Well? - Results (227 votes)
A) WASD for life baybee
85.46% (194 votes)
B) Up Down Left Right suckaaaa
4.41% (10 votes)
C) I won't play a game that requires keyboard controls
0.44% (1 votes)
D) I have Pop Tarts in my kitchen that expired like a year ago
9.69% (22 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I cannot use WASD. Why? Those keys are immediately surrounded by other keys that feel exactly the same. It's easy to lose track of which keys your fingertips are on, especially in the dark. I don't want to be constantly looking down from the screen to see if I'm on the right keys. On the other hand, the U/D/L/R arrows are on their own area of the keyboard and there is no "where am I?" factor with your left hand. Because of this, I always have to change the default keyboard layout, but I'm OK with that.

How about you?
---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#2KillerTrufflePosted 10/14/2013 11:29:43 AM
It's extremely easy to position-check by scooting your index finger over to the F to feel for the bump. But the whole POINT of WASD is that it has lots of other keys around it you can use. With the arrow keys, how do you lean right and left? What's your interaction key? Crouch? Jump? Scope/zoom?

Arrow keys are just entirely unrealistic for any kind of FPS. There just aren't enough keys near them for other tasks without having to completely move your hand.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#3Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 11:30:51 AM
Also, the S key is not directly below the W key. It's diagonally down and right, and that doesn't feel natural to me for a key that is supposed to be straight down.
---
#4Hicks233Posted 10/14/2013 11:33:43 AM
Depends on the game. Bit of both though. I like the arrow keys for platformers/simulators and WASD style for first person titles.
---
http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=9458
Sheep are propper dumb, they run away when you go to stroke em
#5Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 11:42:30 AM(edited)
KillerTruffle posted...
It's extremely easy to position-check by scooting your index finger over to the F to feel for the bump. But the whole POINT of WASD is that it has lots of other keys around it you can use. With the arrow keys, how do you lean right and left? What's your interaction key? Crouch? Jump? Scope/zoom?

Arrow keys are just entirely unrealistic for any kind of FPS. There just aren't enough keys near them for other tasks without having to completely move your hand.

My KB does not have any bump on the F key, so that doesn't help.

I've never played a game where I had to lean right or left. Space is my interaction key. 0 on the keypad is close to the arrows, so that's usually jump, ctrl is on the other side, so that's crouch (although I've hardly ever seen a game that needed crouch very often.) Scope/Zoom has been on the right mouse button in every FPS game I've ever played. Then again, the only FPS games I really play are Doom and UT2004.

---
#6KillerTrufflePosted 10/14/2013 11:34:50 AM
It's only just barely offset, and works fine if you keep your hands in normal typing position, just one space over.

You still haven't mentioned how you handle all of those other functions quickly. Even jump - how the heck can you jump and then crouch right away, using the arrow keys, without completely contorting your hand into some weird, uncomfortable, unnatural position? All I can imagine is uing keypad 0 to jump and right CTRL to crouch... but that is bloody uncomfortable and awkward. And what about all the other functions you need regularly?
---
#7Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 11:39:39 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
It's only just barely offset, and works fine if you keep your hands in normal typing position

I've never had any typing classes, so I don't know what that is. You have to realize, I graduated from college in 1988. Most people didn't even bother with typewriters back then unless they were typing up the final draft of a term paper. Most things were handwritten (do they even teach cursive any more in school? I never see people use it.)
---
#8KillerTrufflePosted 10/14/2013 11:41:01 AM
I'm not sure I've ever seen a keyboard that doesn't have some sort of tactile marker for F and J. Seems like you need a proper keyboard.

Also, twisting your wrist around to let your thumb hit keypad 0 feels more natural than using your middle finger on W and S?

There is just absolutely no good way to get all the keys you regularly need in if you use the arrow keys. Lots of stealth games incorporate leaning. How about reload? That's usually R... And what about sprint/run?

Way back in the day, I actually used to slide my keyboard way over and use the keypad rather than WASD, and it worked. Eventually I forced myself to adapt to WASD tho, because even the keypad didn't have enough keys for some games, and in games like Unreal Tournament, being able to switch to exactly the weapon you need (without scrolling) right away could mean the difference between life and death. Can't do that on a keypad, and sure as heck can't do it with arrow keys.

I cannot imagine trying to play any modern shooter with arrow keys.
---
#9Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 11:48:41 AM(edited)
KillerTruffle posted...
I'm not sure I've ever seen a keyboard that doesn't have some sort of tactile marker for F and J. Seems like you need a proper keyboard.

Also, twisting your wrist around to let your thumb hit keypad 0 feels more natural than using your middle finger on W and S?

There is just absolutely no good way to get all the keys you regularly need in if you use the arrow keys. Lots of stealth games incorporate leaning. How about reload? That's usually R... And what about sprint/run?

Way back in the day, I actually used to slide my keyboard way over and use the keypad rather than WASD, and it worked. Eventually I forced myself to adapt to WASD tho, because even the keypad didn't have enough keys for some games, and in games like Unreal Tournament, being able to switch to exactly the weapon you need (without scrolling) right away could mean the difference between life and death. Can't do that on a keypad, and sure as heck can't do it with arrow keys.

I cannot imagine trying to play any modern shooter with arrow keys.

I don't use my thumb on 0, I use my index finger. The thumb would be almost impossible at that angle.

I've never played a game that didn't automatically reload when the clip was empty.

The last stealth game I played was Tenchu on the PS1.

I have no problems using the mouse wheel to select weapons on UT2004, although that's almost never needed because I set up my weapon priorities in my profile so I'm always on the best weapon I've picked up.

I'm sensing that you are looking at this primarily as an FPS player, and that's fine, but I pretty much hate the genre since UT2004, which was the last one I enjoyed. I primarily play RPGs, but many of them have the default WASD movement, which I have to change.
---
#10R i c kPosted 10/14/2013 11:47:42 AM
WASD for everything except emulators if I don't happen to use my gamepad. For emulators I use arrows for the d-pad and z, x, a, s, etc for action buttons.
---
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D