This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Keyboard controls...do you prefer WASD or Up/Down/Left/Right?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Keyboard controls...do you prefer WASD or Up/Down/Left/Right?

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
3 years ago#11
If you use your index finger to jump, how do you jump while strafing right? Or while running forward/right?

As for auto reload, yeah, most games do. However, when you're down to 5 bullets and there's a lull in the shooting, why would you not reload then, rather than waiting to spend those last 5 rounds and then reload in the *middle* of a firefight? That just seems like bad resource management.

I am looking at WASD from the perspective of FPS, yes, because that is the primary time it's used. If a game ONLY needs movement keys and everything else is mouse-based, fine... there's really not a problem with arrow keys. But with RPGs, even then, you've often got a lot more to worry about - quick item slots that use hotkeys, spell selection, etc.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: Nicodimus

Nicodimus
3 years ago#12
KillerTruffle posted...
If you use your index finger to jump, how do you jump while strafing right? Or while running forward/right?

As for auto reload, yeah, most games do. However, when you're down to 5 bullets and there's a lull in the shooting, why would you not reload then, rather than waiting to spend those last 5 rounds and then reload in the *middle* of a firefight? That just seems like bad resource management.

I am looking at WASD from the perspective of FPS, yes, because that is the primary time it's used. If a game ONLY needs movement keys and everything else is mouse-based, fine... there's really not a problem with arrow keys. But with RPGs, even then, you've often got a lot more to worry about - quick item slots that use hotkeys, spell selection, etc.

I've never played a game where I had to run right sideways and jump at the same time. Typically, you are holding the up arrow to move forward when you jump.

Again, I've never played a game where reloading was a manual thing. RPG guy.

I find that with most RPGs, you have your standard attack with the mouse key, an alternate attack or action (health potion for example) with r-click, and then 2 or 3 'bread and butter' skills which are not difficult to set on either 0, Ctrl, or space (or other mouse keys, although I hate using the keys on the side of the mouse.)
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
3 years ago#13
Well, like I said, if arrow keys work for you and what you need, fine, but there's absolutely no way I'd be able to use it myself. It's HUGELY limiting.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: kill2this

kill2this
3 years ago#14
ESDF for me.

User Info: I_I_I_I

I_I_I_I
3 years ago#15
WASD by far. ESDF is cool too, really should be on the poll even if only a few people are even aware of its glory. The only games I'll accept arrow key movement on is bad flash games.

I can't imagine having trouble finding keys from WASD. Maybe when you're beginning to learn it, but overall it's just muscle memory.

User Info: GeminiX7

GeminiX7
3 years ago#16
When I was a kid I almost exclusively used the arrow keys with the numpad for stuff like reloading, spells, etc. It wasn't till WoW first released and I realized spell-clicking was hurting my ability that I started to use WASD. Now I can't see myself using anything else.

The wierd thing is that I hate using the top number keys for spells/switching weapons. If its a shooting game, I weapon switch with the Mouse Wheel. For MMOs, I bind abilities to Q, E, F, Z, X, C, and V along with using Shift and the aforementioned letters.
3DS FC: 0662-3353-4779
PSN: GeminiX7

Nicodimus
3 years ago#17
I_I_I_I posted...
I can't imagine having trouble finding keys from WASD. Maybe when you're beginning to learn it, but overall it's just muscle memory.

I still use the 'hunt and peck' method of typing. I rarely had to type anything in school (70s/80s.) I just sort of got used to it after I got a PC in 2000 to play Diablo 2 and type e-mail.

User Info: Darkcloud20

Darkcloud20
3 years ago#18
wasd for mouse and keyboard games, arrows for keyboard only (which I prefer using a controller anyway)
http://raptr.com/Darkcloud1987

Nicodimus
3 years ago#19
I'm also surprised how many people appear to have fresh Pop Tarts. Well done.

User Info: LordSeifer

LordSeifer
3 years ago#20
51 vs 1 (the tc)
^ this
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Keyboard controls...do you prefer WASD or Up/Down/Left/Right?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived