This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Keyboard controls...do you prefer WASD or Up/Down/Left/Right?

#11KillerTrufflePosted 10/14/2013 11:57:01 AM
If you use your index finger to jump, how do you jump while strafing right? Or while running forward/right?

As for auto reload, yeah, most games do. However, when you're down to 5 bullets and there's a lull in the shooting, why would you not reload then, rather than waiting to spend those last 5 rounds and then reload in the *middle* of a firefight? That just seems like bad resource management.

I am looking at WASD from the perspective of FPS, yes, because that is the primary time it's used. If a game ONLY needs movement keys and everything else is mouse-based, fine... there's really not a problem with arrow keys. But with RPGs, even then, you've often got a lot more to worry about - quick item slots that use hotkeys, spell selection, etc.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#12Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 12:03:16 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
If you use your index finger to jump, how do you jump while strafing right? Or while running forward/right?

As for auto reload, yeah, most games do. However, when you're down to 5 bullets and there's a lull in the shooting, why would you not reload then, rather than waiting to spend those last 5 rounds and then reload in the *middle* of a firefight? That just seems like bad resource management.

I am looking at WASD from the perspective of FPS, yes, because that is the primary time it's used. If a game ONLY needs movement keys and everything else is mouse-based, fine... there's really not a problem with arrow keys. But with RPGs, even then, you've often got a lot more to worry about - quick item slots that use hotkeys, spell selection, etc.

I've never played a game where I had to run right sideways and jump at the same time. Typically, you are holding the up arrow to move forward when you jump.

Again, I've never played a game where reloading was a manual thing. RPG guy.

I find that with most RPGs, you have your standard attack with the mouse key, an alternate attack or action (health potion for example) with r-click, and then 2 or 3 'bread and butter' skills which are not difficult to set on either 0, Ctrl, or space (or other mouse keys, although I hate using the keys on the side of the mouse.)
---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#13KillerTrufflePosted 10/14/2013 12:06:22 PM
Well, like I said, if arrow keys work for you and what you need, fine, but there's absolutely no way I'd be able to use it myself. It's HUGELY limiting.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#14kill2thisPosted 10/14/2013 12:16:07 PM
ESDF for me.
#15I_I_I_IPosted 10/14/2013 12:16:38 PM
WASD by far. ESDF is cool too, really should be on the poll even if only a few people are even aware of its glory. The only games I'll accept arrow key movement on is bad flash games.

I can't imagine having trouble finding keys from WASD. Maybe when you're beginning to learn it, but overall it's just muscle memory.
#16GeminiX7Posted 10/14/2013 12:17:13 PM
When I was a kid I almost exclusively used the arrow keys with the numpad for stuff like reloading, spells, etc. It wasn't till WoW first released and I realized spell-clicking was hurting my ability that I started to use WASD. Now I can't see myself using anything else.

The wierd thing is that I hate using the top number keys for spells/switching weapons. If its a shooting game, I weapon switch with the Mouse Wheel. For MMOs, I bind abilities to Q, E, F, Z, X, C, and V along with using Shift and the aforementioned letters.
---
3DS FC: 0662-3353-4779
PSN: GeminiX7
#17Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 12:21:45 PM(edited)
I_I_I_I posted...
I can't imagine having trouble finding keys from WASD. Maybe when you're beginning to learn it, but overall it's just muscle memory.

I still use the 'hunt and peck' method of typing. I rarely had to type anything in school (70s/80s.) I just sort of got used to it after I got a PC in 2000 to play Diablo 2 and type e-mail.

---
#18Darkcloud20Posted 10/14/2013 12:34:19 PM
wasd for mouse and keyboard games, arrows for keyboard only (which I prefer using a controller anyway)
---
http://raptr.com/Darkcloud1987
#19Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 12:38:57 PM
I'm also surprised how many people appear to have fresh Pop Tarts. Well done.
---
#20LordSeiferPosted 10/14/2013 12:39:48 PM
51 vs 1 (the tc)
---
^ this