This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Keyboard controls...do you prefer WASD or Up/Down/Left/Right?

#31arleasPosted 10/14/2013 2:15:35 PM
ESDF - standard finger placement for keyboard usage.

I was disappointed that I had to vote WASD because this wasn't on the poll.

Also, I used to use the arrow keys a long long time ago, and when the game in question required leaning, I switched it to Home/End/Delete/PgDown. with Insert and PgUp for leaning left and right. The only time I use arrow keys now is when the game has no controller options and it needs "twin stick" type controls. The only example I can think of right now is Binding of Isaac, but I used Xpadder to bind all the controls to the controller on that one.

Mainly though, the first thing I do is spend 10 minutes rebinding keys around EDSF (which only requires 10 minutes if there's a ton of keyboard options and I have to decide which ones are best for every situation).
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/r5PgL.gif
#32Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 2:19:32 PM(edited)
arleas posted...
ESDF - standard finger placement for keyboard usage.

I was disappointed that I had to vote WASD because this wasn't on the poll.

Sorry. I would have put it on the poll if I'd ever heard of it or seen a game that was set up that way.
---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#33MagnemightPosted 10/14/2013 2:25:49 PM
Arrow Keys are a horrible, horrible way to play any action game.

If you're playing an FPS, you've got to scoot the keyboard all the way off to one side of the desk or have your hands cramp up together.

If you're playing a platformer, you're using your right hand for movement if you use the arrow keys. Every modern gaming controller since the bloody 80s has used the left hand for movement controls; it's muscle memory at this point.

Super Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac only use arrow keys for movement because the blasted creators don't even bother to try making the game playable on keyboard; they originally developed Super Meat Boy for the Xbox 360, and (even when they ported to the PC) they still have a "YOU MUST HAVE A CONTROLLER" mindset...if the splash screen for Super Meat Boy is any indication.

WASD+Space is an acceptable way to play one-button platformers, and you can actually do it with just one hand, which is always cool.

WASD+J key+K key is a much, much better way to play two-button platformers, It's nearly identical to standard typist's position and puts both your hands very near to handy bindable keys like Shift, Tab, Caps Lock, and Enter.

Of course, as with nearly all action games for the PC, WASD+Mouse is the most effective way to play, and there's a few platformers (Mark of the Ninja and Terraria, mainly) that make good use of the control scheme.
---
Magikoopa Security Force: Defend against the Shy Guys!
Download the demo (offsite): http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=2&id=29243
#34mememe4537Posted 10/14/2013 2:28:36 PM
I use wasd, and my keyboard actually has raised lines for f and j and a bump on w.
---
I'll take intelligent analysis over fear-mongering and logical fallacies every day.
#35Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 2:43:04 PM
Magnemight posted...
If you're playing a platformer, you're using your right hand for movement if you use the arrow keys. Every modern gaming controller since the bloody 80s has used the left hand for movement controls; it's muscle memory at this point.

Who plays a platformer with a keyboard though? There have been SNES/PS style controllers available for the PC since the 90s.
---
#36_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/14/2013 4:26:55 PM(edited)
No, just no. The keys surrounding WASD are part of the reason you use them. Those are all great easy to reach keybinds. In most games you are putting yourself at a severe disadvantage. And honestly, not being able to find the keys is a pretty backward reason to abandon WASD.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#3730aught6Posted 10/14/2013 4:44:18 PM(edited)
nvm
#38ein311Posted 10/14/2013 5:02:59 PM
I used to use arrow keys since I'm left handed and WASD was awkward to use with my right hand (also I started playing FPS with arrow keys thanks to Wolfenstein/Doom).

In high school we would often borrow each other's computers during tournaments (winners got to move up to the "good" computers, losers would be punished by playing on someone else's crappy computer, etc), and I got tired of having to switch default WASD to arrow keys every time I'd move up/down to someone else's computer.

My dad still uses arrow keys for everything, though. I watched him play Splinter Cell Blacklist the other day with arrow keys and it looked awkward as hell.
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#39KillerTrufflePosted 10/14/2013 5:08:01 PM
ein311 posted...
I used to use arrow keys since I'm left handed and WASD was awkward to use with my right hand (also I started playing FPS with arrow keys thanks to Wolfenstein/Doom).

In high school we would often borrow each other's computers during tournaments (winners got to move up to the "good" computers, losers would be punished by playing on someone else's crappy computer, etc), and I got tired of having to switch default WASD to arrow keys every time I'd move up/down to someone else's computer.

My dad still uses arrow keys for everything, though. I watched him play Splinter Cell Blacklist the other day with arrow keys and it looked awkward as hell.

I actually started with arrow keys too - and I'm right-handed. :P But in Wolf3D and Doom, I did use the arrows. By the time Descent rolled around, I migrated over to the keypad so I had the extra keys for strafing and stuff. I stuck to the keypad for a few more years, until I ended up trying WASD just because it was too much of a hassle to rebind every key, and pretty much have been there since. As games have gotten more complex, even the keypad isn't good enough any more.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#40Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 5:34:03 PM
I'm left-handed as well. Not sure if that has anything to do with it though.
---