This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So is the MS surface tablets been a success or a failure ?

#1Kano92Posted 10/14/2013 11:51:48 AM
topic
---
i5 2500k | ASUS P8P67 | CORSAIR 650W | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GTX 660 | 2TB 7200 RPM | Windows 7 64-bit
#2electroflamePosted 10/14/2013 11:57:13 AM
Failure. They've still got warehouses full of 'em.
---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame
#3ShubPosted 10/14/2013 12:02:54 PM
The regular Surface w/ Windows RT is a failure, no surprise there. Not sure about how the Surface Pro is doing, but they're releasing a new one soon or already have released it, so they may be doing OK there.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4__Cam__Posted 10/14/2013 12:36:14 PM
Failure. The Surface RT is a dud, and the Surface Pro isn't doing that well. Microsoft is trying way too hard to create the perfect hardware, when in the mobile arms race, it all boils down to software. Windows 8 isn't exactly a god-tier mobile OS, it's a much more locked-down OS than even earlier iOS versions, and developers just don't care about it.
---
You're awesome.
#5ShubPosted 10/14/2013 12:42:50 PM
__Cam__ posted...
Windows 8 [is] a much more locked-down OS than even earlier iOS versions

...what? No.
If you meant Windows RT, then OK.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6__Cam__Posted 10/14/2013 12:43:17 PM
Shub posted...
...what? No.
If you meant Windows RT, then OK.

I'm referring to when it comes to developers making software for the Windows Store.
---
You're awesome.
#7clowningPosted 10/14/2013 12:45:22 PM(edited)
I have no idea how they have been doing, but in my personal experience, the MS tablets are much more useful because they are 100% compatible with everything you need in a business product, like powerpoint, etc. Android and iOS have compatibility issues with some formats and software.

This is why every business person I know who wanted to use a tablet for business has switched to to MS tablets. If you run a small business and you just use the tablet for appointments and other minor tasks, it's fine. But if you need to work with other people and businesses, doing presentations and other tasks, you might run into issues (I know I did).
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#8__Cam__Posted 10/14/2013 1:23:44 PM
clowning posted...
This is why every business person I know who wanted to use a tablet for business has switched to to MS tablets. If you run a small business and you just use the tablet for appointments and other minor tasks, it's fine. But if you need to work with other people and businesses, doing presentations and other tasks, you might run into issues (I know I did).

Surface tablets are better for enterprise scenarios. I wouldn't say they're better for small businesses. Square and PayPal Here (debit card readers/transaction loggers) are supported only on iOS and Android.
---
You're awesome.
#9gastamanPosted 10/14/2013 1:50:24 PM(edited)
__Cam__ posted...
clowning posted...

Surface tablets are better for enterprise scenarios. I wouldn't say they're better for small businesses. Square and PayPal Here (debit card readers/transaction loggers) are supported only on iOS and Android.

http://www.innerfence.com/

That's an option for Windows 8/Windows RT users.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#10Kano92(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 2:54:31 PM
do you think their new windows phone nokia 41MP will fail too ?
---
i5 2500k | ASUS P8P67 | CORSAIR 650W | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GTX 660 | 2TB 7200 RPM | Windows 7 64-bit