This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New to MOBAs, start with LoL or DoTA2?

#31Tyranius2Posted 10/15/2013 5:08:37 AM
It makes no sense to say that LoL is easier than Dota 2. Both are PvP games.

The game mechanics alone make DotA 2 a much more difficult game than LoL. In LoL you don't lose gold after each death, there's no creep pulling, no creep stacking, no creep blocking. In DotA there's no Flash unless you pick characters with blink or spend 2k gold getting a dagger. Supports in dota don't have philosopher's stone to help with gold, they're stuck with what they have. There's also no "free wards" items. Then there's also fog, tps, positioning, item counters, denying and so on.

LoL is just too barebones
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[
#32Super_Thug44Posted 10/15/2013 8:18:57 AM
Featherwind posted...
However LoL is pay2win so it's not really free. In fact it costs a lot. Much more than you'd expect a game like that to cost, even if you only unlock the content that tangibly affects your chances of winning (no skins, summoner icons etc).

No, it's not. I have been playing LoL for 3 years (non-competitively) and haven't given that game a single cent. People who say pay2win have no idea what they're talking about.
---
http://i.imgur.com/2Q46wvY.png
Sophie's #1 Fan!
#33Kokuei05Posted 10/15/2013 8:32:26 AM
I always disliked the "Runes" for LoL. The amounts look minimal but the advantage at level 1 is ridiculous.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hho9gQccPCI
#34AsucaHayashiPosted 10/15/2013 8:36:32 AM
Super_Thug44 posted...
Featherwind posted...
However LoL is pay2win so it's not really free. In fact it costs a lot. Much more than you'd expect a game like that to cost, even if you only unlock the content that tangibly affects your chances of winning (no skins, summoner icons etc).

No, it's not. I have been playing LoL for 3 years (non-competitively) and haven't given that game a single cent. People who say pay2win have no idea what they're talking about.

it's pay2win given riot's penchant for intentional horrendous balancing every time a new hero is released in order to make people fork out with IP or cash and many times people just don't have 6300 lying around every time a new champ comes out.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#35SteamsterPosted 10/15/2013 9:06:58 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#36FeatherwindPosted 10/15/2013 9:23:32 AM(edited)
You level up to 30 in LoL. This took a while as you didn't buy the exp boosts but you made it! Now after some more normal games to unlock the champions you want to play you go play ranked!

*You solo queue, get a match and you are the first pick. After banning FOTM champions 1-3 you wonder what you should pick*
Player 4: pls pick me zed, i'm good with him
*this sounds like a good play, you see that 7 of his last 10 games are wins with Zed, and you'd rather not pick your champion until you see what they have*
You: Sure!
*you look at the pool of champions at the bottom of the screen, yet there is no picture of zed there*
You: uhh how do I pick him for you, how can i select him?
Player 4: you don't own him?
You: so that means I can't make this play?
Player 4: yeah you have to either pay ip or cash for it, this play is behind a paywall you see
*you pick the champion you were planning to play*
*enemy team picks Amumu and... Zed*

Player 4: ...
You: i never even play zed lol

After the game you notice it takes around 2000-2500 hours of play to unlock all champions. After you have grinded for that time you return

Player 3: go singed, we need tanky and he counter
*you look a the enemy team and again this sounds like a good idea, you are comfortable with playing singed*
*after the loading screen is gone and the game starts*
Player 3: no speed runes for singed? wtf
You: sorry i only have 6 pages, it took a long time to unlock all champs
Player 2: why gimp yourself and not use proper runes...
Player 3: pls don't play ranked without runes

*you notice that the cap for runepages is 20, and they cost 6300 ip each*

If you'd start playing now you could maybe have the Even Playing Field unlocked in 2016 OR you could just mail Riot some cash not be gimped for the first 4000+ hours.

edit: hours it takes to unlock things
---
pathological
#37Binba442Posted 10/15/2013 9:18:30 AM
DOTA seems to be the thing now. I don't like MOBAs... much. I played LOL a bit, and DOTA is scary, but if I had to play one, I'd play DOTA. Mostly because steam. And it's where it started.
---
Pacman is a deadbeat uncle who embarrasses everyone involved while living off of his one single moment of glory he had back in the 80s -Tirkaro 2013
#38KillerTrufflePosted 10/15/2013 9:24:42 AM
LOL absolutely does have a pay to win aspect, as I have a hard time believing many people at all are willing to play all the games it takes to unlock everything in-game. Hell, it took me like 40 games just to unlock 3 characters or so that I wanted. The game really is super restrictive on you early on - unless you want to drop cash.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#39r0ge00Posted 10/15/2013 9:35:24 AM
LoL doesn't have a bad system if you're just playing casually. It would be nicer (IMO) if they just had everything unlocked and you paid more for skins. Sadly, that's not the case.

P.S. I play both games, they're both fun for different reasons. If you want something that you don't have to play like a job or be gimped at by not playing enough, play the Doter.
#40SlaynPosted 10/15/2013 10:15:35 AM
Featherwind posted...
waaaaaaaaaaaaah QQ

Pretty much sums up your post.

Game is not pay to win. You don't need to unlock even 20% of the content to play the game perfectly fine.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.