This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would be the best way to add a GPS to a Windows machine?

#1GabrezuPosted 10/14/2013 2:13:21 PM(edited)
I mean most phones have one. Windows machines usually didn't need one, but with the newer Windows tablets coming out, I'm not sure they come with one. Could there be a way to add one with a USB dongle or other accessory? Where would you get one?

P.S. To be clear, I'd like to use my tablet so that I could go in an application like Google Maps and have it guide me like a real GPS.
#2WerdnAndreWPosted 10/14/2013 2:19:56 PM
I'm pretty sure all modern tablets have GPS.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#3KillerTrufflePosted 10/14/2013 2:21:13 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=USB+gps
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#4Davel23Posted 10/14/2013 2:21:33 PM
When I connect my phone to my PC and go to Google Maps it's able to use the GPS in the phone to find its location.
---
Your mom's box.
#5KillerTrufflePosted 10/14/2013 2:23:48 PM
Davel23 posted...
When I connect my phone to my PC and go to Google Maps it's able to use the GPS in the phone to find its location.

That would be my thought - you're gonna need the phone's data to be tethered anyway to get map updates as you travel, and I guarantee the phone has a GPS even if the tablet doesn't.
---
#6Gabrezu(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 2:46:31 PM
Okay thanks. Never tethered my phone for other than charging.
#7KillerTrufflePosted 10/14/2013 3:54:45 PM
Tethering doesn't mean just plugging it in to a USB port. It means actually setting the phone up as a mobile router, basically, and letting your tablet piggyback data off it. Some cell providers charge you to do this, although there are third party apps that can often do it for free (after you buy the app). Also keep in mind that ALL data your tablet uses through tethering counts toward any data caps you may have on your phone...
---
#8datopgamerPosted 10/14/2013 4:55:03 PM
I was thinking of putting a phone on the inside of my computer connected to my usb card I bought since it has a usb port on the inside. That way the phone can act as a gps in case my computer ever gets stolen. The phone will be charged when the computer is on and run on battery when its off. I dont know if it would affect any components though.

As for tablets, most newer tablets have gps integrated for facebook.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#9LordSeiferPosted 10/14/2013 5:16:19 PM
datopgamer posted...
I was thinking of putting a phone on the inside of my computer connected to my usb card I bought since it has a usb port on the inside. That way the phone can act as a gps in case my computer ever gets stolen. The phone will be charged when the computer is on and run on battery when its off. I dont know if it would affect any components though.

As for tablets, most newer tablets have gps integrated for facebook.

are you talking about a desktop computer?

gps doesnt work very well indoors, i hope they are walking around town carrying your desktop
---
^ this
#10TimePharaohPosted 10/14/2013 5:22:47 PM
Gabrezu posted...
Okay thanks. Never tethered my phone for other than charging.

...wut
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png