This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone have experience re-activating Windows 8?

#1mrCubePosted 10/14/2013 6:17:44 PM
I have a copy of Windows 8 Pro that I got through my work. I've been using it since Windows 8 was released, no issues. I recently built a new computer and sold my old one, after formatting the HDD. I installed Windows 8 on this new computer; it allowed me to use the Windows 8 Pro key I had during installation no problem, but after installation, Windows is not activated and the key that I have will not work. Normally with previous versions of Windows this was just a matter of doing the BS phone-in thing to activate, but there's no option for that in Windows 8 it appears. Anyone have any ideas?
---
---
#2YoungAdultLinkPosted 10/14/2013 6:19:20 PM
Call support and tell them you had to buy a new motherboard and processor, but that it's the same computer otherwise.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#3mrCube(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 6:37:32 PM
Oooookay, figured it out.

I had to do a registry tweak to make Windows think I did an upgrade rather than a clean install. After that, I had to run the activation wizard via an elevated command prompt with a certain argument that got me right to phone activation. From then it was just like normal.

All just to activate a legitimate copy of Windows :/
---
---
#4mrCube(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 8:54:25 PM
Wait.. it's still not activated. Guess I'll have to call. I'll do it tomorrow when I feel like bothering with this crap
---
---
#5lionheart5656Posted 10/14/2013 9:16:26 PM(edited)
Most people try not to activate it once let alone twice.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#6blablablax17Posted 10/14/2013 10:07:16 PM
I had this problem a few months ago.
I was in the phone for hours and talked to like 10 different people.
The ended up giving me a new key.

Let us know what happens.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11