This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What do you think is the best Grand Strategy game?

#1SienrurouniPosted 10/14/2013 7:53:59 PM
I've been playing some old Koei games, and Civ a lot the last few months. I've got most of the Total Wars, and am curious in a few Paradox games. I've just been feeling like checking out something different, and was wondering what you all think the best game in the genre is? I love the Civ series but they are a bit short and shallow compared to some of the other options like the Total War series.
---
"You may not believe this, but I was once a remarkable man,"
-Denny Crane
#2__starsnostarsPosted 10/14/2013 7:56:01 PM
For me Europa Universalis 2. For some reason I could never get into EU3.
#3DerPancakePosted 10/14/2013 7:56:55 PM
What do you mean by Grand Strategy.
---
Steam/Origin: DerPancake
#4TimePharaohPosted 10/14/2013 7:57:50 PM
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#5Sienrurouni(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 8:01:54 PM
DerPancake posted...
What do you mean by Grand Strategy.

Grand Strategy is the general term for the genre of games I was listing. Games like Civilization, Total War, and Nobunaga's Ambition where you manage a nation and can generally conquer other nations. Wikipedia describes it better than I can, "A grand strategy wargame is a wargame that places focus on grand strategy: military strategy at the level of movement and use of an entire nation state or empire's resources."

__starsnostars posted...
For me Europa Universalis 2. For some reason I could never get into EU3.

I have EU3 but I've never managed to get it to work.
---
-Denny Crane
#6RequiemPosted 10/14/2013 8:04:51 PM
Would Civ games count, though?
Sure, you could go for the military victory, but there are just so many ways to "win" the game besides conquering everyone else.
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
#7Sienrurouni(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 8:06:29 PM
Yeah, they would count. It doesn't have to be a military victory, lots of other grand strategy games are even more heavily about economics or politics than Civ is. It's a somewhat difficult genre to define, but they're all about strategy at a national level.
---
-Denny Crane
#8AskeladdPosted 10/14/2013 8:06:57 PM
Requiem posted...
Would Civ games count, though?

Yes.
---
TWSS hes speken end the wenner es E. There cen enle be ene.
"If it can fit in a Pokeball it can fit in a Gatorade bottle. I'mma catch it." NobleRoar
#9kelemvorPosted 10/14/2013 8:09:43 PM
I still think Victoria 2 is the "deepest" Paradox grand strategy game but others say is might be Heart of Iron 3. Note that deepest isn't necessarily the "best".

Alpha Centauri is my personal favorite. Too bad Firaxis gave up on it. The game is great, but maybe a little too ambitious. Chronologically, it takes place between Civ 2 and 3 but the mechanics are much more complex than those titles. The depth is more on par with Civilization 4 but with customizable units, a huge multitude of terraforming options, and the ability to make many dozens of cities without getting crippled with corruption/unhappiness/health penalties like you have with Civ 4 and 5. There is a autopilot mode for cities that works quite well, you can even tell it not to build certain types of buildings, and you can set your own manual queue for the build order.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#10someguyshandPosted 10/14/2013 8:20:20 PM
I haven't played too much in depth in these but here's my list:

Master of Orion 1/2
Fallen Enchantress
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Endless Space
Sword of the Stars
Galactic Civilizations 2
Civilization 4/5
Crusader Kings 2
Europa Universalis 3

Granted most of these are 4X games, but I suppose they fall under TC's definition of "grand strategy" games.
---
(Insert Name) killed Some Guy
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55859/122kyz9.gif