This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What steam controller didnt get right:

#1DaltonMPosted 10/15/2013 12:11:00 AM
Is the need for all the buttons! PC games hotkey things like crazy. I wish there were 3 more buttons on each side of the remote :(

But I am going to try to build a decent PC soon. But for now I preorder the ps4.
---
I am all too familiar with disappoint
http://i.imgur.com/Tt1e3.png
#2MackorovPosted 10/15/2013 12:14:21 AM
You don't need hotkeys when you got a touch screen.
#3OmegaDL50Posted 10/15/2013 12:24:13 AM(edited)
The Steam Controller is already going to be a hassle with several genres.

It seems like they designed the controller to be suitable for a single genre during the design phase and called it a day.

Anyone who plays a traditional fighting game (Street Fighter, Tekken, etc) or twitch style fast paced action game (Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, MG:R) or even a Racing Sim (GTR, iRacing), the Steam Controller just seems to be ill-suited for these games.

Then again I'm speaking from the perspective of the average gamepad user, the enthusiasts will still be using Arcade Sticks for fighters and decent Wheel for Racing Sims and FPSs and RTS which the Steam Controller may try to emulate a mouse and keyboard combo with it's dual touchpad things, still won't offer the same precision a Mouse and Keyboard provide for those genres.

I'm keeping my expectations low, Perhaps Valve will surprise me and put my concerns at rest.
---
Intel i5 3570k | 8GB DDR3 | MSI TF3 HD7950 | PS2 | Xbox | PS3 | Wii U | PSP | DS
Gaming is about fun, not company loyalty or close minded platform worship
#4SlaynPosted 10/15/2013 12:29:49 AM
I wasn't particularly impressed of the guy playing Counter-Strike with it. Wow it only takes 3 seconds to aim and fire!
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#5TimePharaohPosted 10/15/2013 12:31:34 AM
Slayn posted...
I wasn't particularly impressed of the guy playing Counter-Strike with it. Wow it only takes 3 seconds to aim and fire!

Welcome to the world of controllers
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#6BuburibonPosted 10/15/2013 12:38:02 AM
Slayn posted...

True, that was much too slow even for a controller.
---
3770K @ 4.5Ghz | 16GB | TITAN
Steam | PSN | XBL: GVAmson23
#7AsucaHayashiPosted 10/15/2013 12:52:20 AM
It seems like they designed the controller to be suitable for a single genre during the design phase and called it a day.

FPS, TBS and point n click interface "adventure game" does not a single genre make.

TimePharaoh posted...
Slayn posted...

Welcome to the world of controllers

this.

he was doing nothing but precision headshots(even though he missed with some) without aim assist. imagine the kind of aiming we would see if an actual fps pro got behind it.

would probably be worse than m/kb but no doubt better than regular controllers.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#8Stanemac12Posted 10/15/2013 1:46:34 AM
Keep in mind guys that the controller they've been showing so far is just their prototype., and its the one they're using for the beta testing. There's plenty of chance they can use the feedback they get and improve it from now and when they release it.