This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just bought a laptop for $930...

#1AsuirPosted 10/15/2013 6:14:31 AM(edited)
Was it worth it?

I7 4700 and 12gb DDR3 are main features. Then it also has the 1920x1080 display, etc. Did I come out on top?

Forgot the graphics card: 2gb DDR3 nvidia Geforce GT 740m
---
Ftw!
#2pitt12177Posted 10/15/2013 6:13:30 AM
I'd say no but a lot of people like the portability of a laptop. If you do a lot of work on the go or don't have a lot of space, I'd say it was worth it. It also depends on what kind of gaming you like to do.
#3zxelmanPosted 10/15/2013 6:19:02 AM
You got a bit much ram for gaming. 8 is all you're gonna need for awhile, unless you know what you're doing with that ram.

Processor is pretty nice.

Should've went for a better graphics card if possible. VRAM is fine and all, just needs moar powah.
#4Asuir(Topic Creator)Posted 10/15/2013 6:21:57 AM
I really wanted a better graphics card, but there wasn't anything else offered for this particular brand of laptops and when I hunted around for a much better one the price skyrocketed.
---
Ftw!
#5zxelmanPosted 10/15/2013 6:26:27 AM(edited)
Asuir posted...
I really wanted a better graphics card, but there wasn't anything else offered for this particular brand of laptops and when I hunted around for a much better one the price skyrocketed.

http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-gaming-laptops-ct-118_96_98.html

Got a good deal from this website a year and 5 months ago. There are already some Sager laptops that are a bit better for the price, but a bit slower processor than your current one in order to boost GPU, but GPU is the main thing you want for gaming, whereas CPU doesn't need to be anything special unless you like emulation.
#6TimePharaohPosted 10/15/2013 6:26:42 AM
You bought a laptop, of course you didn't come out ahead.
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#7Enigma149Posted 10/15/2013 6:32:10 AM
zxelman posted...
Asuir posted...

http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-gaming-laptops-ct-118_96_98.html

Got a good deal from this website a year and 5 months ago. There are already some Sager laptops that are a bit better for the price, but a bit slower processor than your current one in order to boost GPU, but GPU is the main thing you want for gaming, whereas CPU doesn't need to be anything special unless you like emulation.

Well, some games are more CPU-intensive than GPU-intensive. Strategy games in particular will shine on his laptop.

Though yeah, he really didn't need that much RAM.
---
MOS 6510 @ 1.023 MHz // MOS VIC-II 6567 // 64 kB RAM // 20 kB ROM // 3ch MOS 6581 SID // 1541 FDD // Datasette
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NN, Steam: CrimsonEnigma
#8zxelmanPosted 10/15/2013 6:36:43 AM(edited)
Enigma149 posted...
zxelman posted...
Asuir posted...

Well, some games are more CPU-intensive than GPU-intensive. Strategy games in particular will shine on his laptop.

Though yeah, he really didn't need that much RAM.

I'm sure most 4000s sold in that price range could handle a strategy game to begin with. I know what you mean, especially when it comes to a game like GTAIV (yes I know I'm talking about a different genre), but as long as he has a decent and recent quad-core, he'll be fine with most games as long as the GPU gets some attention.
#9ATARIJAWAPosted 10/15/2013 7:06:11 AM
For over 900 I would have at least gotten one with a gaming GPU.. 740m is a multimedia card. It will technically run most games, but not well.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 105
#10DoramiPosted 10/15/2013 7:11:34 AM
It would have been better to go for a 750M and 8GB. There is at least 1 model available on xoticpc in that price range.
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha