This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

HTPC build

#1kalakdrinPosted 10/15/2013 9:51:31 AM
Hello, I want to build a PC for my living room so I can stream videos and watch Blu Ray movies. I plan to upgrade the graphics card and incorporate 5.1 surround later. For 5.1 sound, I just need to get a 5.1 sound card and speakers, right?

Is this a good build for what I want to do? Any way to get it cheaper? The TV is 720p.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1P8pb
#2ShubPosted 10/15/2013 9:57:14 AM
kalakdrin posted...
I plan to upgrade the graphics card later.

Don't. That's completely unnecessary.

kalakdrin posted...
For 5.1 sound, I just need to get a 5.1 sound card and speakers, right?

Yep.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3kalakdrin(Topic Creator)Posted 10/15/2013 10:22:38 AM
Thanks. I should have mentioned that I want to upgrade the graphics card for gaming. I probably won't need much to max games at 720p.
#4ShubPosted 10/15/2013 10:24:44 AM
Oh I see. Then yeah, that'll be nice.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#5UberLurkerPosted 10/15/2013 11:06:51 AM
Shub posted...
kalakdrin posted...
For 5.1 sound, I just need to get a 5.1 sound card and speakers, right?

Yep.

Actually you don't necessarily need a sound card for 5.1, you can also get it via a graphics card with HDMI out. I'm not familiar with ATI offerings but I think pretty much all HDMI enabled Nvidia cards offer multi-channel audio output from their HDMI ports.

For example... my HTPC has a GTS 430 that runs HDMI to an A/V receiver which then runs to the TV, the audio shows up as multi-channel LPCM on the receiver and works great for games and movies. No sound card needed whatsoever, I even have the motherboard onboard audio disabled since it's superfluous.

kalakdrin posted...
Thanks. I should have mentioned that I want to upgrade the graphics card for gaming. I probably won't need much to max games at 720p.

FWIW I have a PC hooked up to a 720p TV in my bedroom, the PC runs a GTX 650ti and it works wonderfully for such an inexpensive card. I think the secret is that while the 650ti's memory bus is weak (and thus suffers at higher resolutions) it still has respectable geometry crunching power so it lets you crank the details all the way up as long as you keep the resolution low... in this case 720p is the sweet spot IMHO.
#6ShubPosted 10/15/2013 12:08:24 PM
UberLurker posted...
Actually you don't necessarily need a sound card for 5.1, you can also get it via a graphics card with HDMI out. I'm not familiar with ATI offerings but I think pretty much all HDMI enabled Nvidia cards offer multi-channel audio output from their HDMI ports.

You're right actually, and my post was misleading. The motherboard actually supports 5.1 out of the box so no additional purchase is necessary there. However, I just noticed that the motherboard in the build up top does not have an HDMI port, so I would recommend getting one with HDMI.
---
-What is best in life?
#7kalakdrin(Topic Creator)Posted 10/15/2013 1:03:44 PM
Thanks guys, very helpful. Going to look for a mobo with HDMI output.
#8kelemvorPosted 10/15/2013 4:58:09 PM
So are you going to do a mini ITX or Micro ATX build? What kind of case are you using? I have a big, ugly tower as my HTPC and I'm thinking of switching over to something more streamlined when It's time to upgrade from my 2500k/GTX660 rig.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane