This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any good programs/add ons to download youtube videos?

#11Lonestar2000Posted 10/15/2013 5:11:53 PM
DownloadHelper
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#12razid(Topic Creator)Posted 10/15/2013 6:11:24 PM
So I got youtube center for tampermonkey. In the settings it says you can download 1080p videos, however whenever I try and download a 1080p video the download link only says 720p. Anyone know why this is?
---
Take care of yourself
#13TBalkPosted 10/16/2013 12:29:57 AM
There are about a million!!! Although I wouldn't trust all of them, and since youtube likes to make changes to derail downloaders not all of them are always effective. I use the torch browser ( http://www.torchbrowser.com/ ) It's good for torrent downloads as well!!
#14TheOtherGuyXPosted 10/16/2013 12:37:00 AM
DownloadHelper add-on for Firefox is what you're looking for. I can download 1080p vids just fine off Youtube. No need for external programs or anything, plus it works on tons of other video sites so it's useful to have installed.
---
"The only thing that comes to a sleeping man is dreams."
#15AsucaHayashiPosted 10/17/2013 8:53:58 AM
Killah Priest posted...
I just tried it myself and it worked but then I went to another video and it didn't... so I think you might be onto something there with something going on behind the scenes.

i think they're starting to encrypt the 1080p videos now.

besides not showing up as an option in most downloaders, i "bruteforced" my way to a couple of recent ones and when i play them back there's suddenly no audio.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#16SnadadosPosted 10/17/2013 9:33:19 AM
I'll throw my hat in for Download Helper as well.

Easy to use, hasn't ever given me any trouble and works with pretty much ever streaming video site I've come across.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#17razid(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 12:46:57 PM
Here's a review for Video DownloadHelper from the Mozilla add on page:

I love this add-on and I have been using it for at least 3 years now....

However, as of October 16, 2013
Youtube has made some kind of update which interferes with the operation of ALL YouTube video downloaders. This change causes some videos to download short and incomplete files. It also causes some videos to not download at all, instead it while display a "server error" in add-on windows such as "DownloadThemAll(DTA).

Also, please note that the developer of an add-on called "BYTubeD" had mentioned this issue recently on his blog and he has decided to discontinue his add-on because of it.He said that the issue has something to do with YouTube randomly encrypting certain video links now. So that is the problem!

I have tried other YouTube add-ons and video downloaders but I still get the same problem. This issue may also be the reason why some videos will not download in 1080p (for the people on here that are having that problem).

Goodness, why can't YouTube just leave well enough alone?
"If it's not broken then don't try to fix it."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is an excerpt from the blog post I mentioned above:

" Previously YouTube used to change things in ways which were easy to adapt to. Now they have started encrypting some portions of the video URLs. And the encryption schemes are sufficiently random to consider the effort of chasing around these changes to be futile, if at all legitimate.

So, highly probably BYTubeD will never be back again in its normal working condition.{...}
I have disabled the add-on on addons.mozilla.org.

I do not have any plans to resurrect BYTubeD, given the state of affairs. Programmers who think they have enough time to spend on hacking the encrypted URLs can get the existing code of BYTubeD from here and try to modify it. "

http://msram.github.io/bytubed/

So yeah, looks like youtube is the cause behind the trouble. I'll still try out Video Downloadhelper to see if it works for me. As of yesterday, Youtube Center using Tampermonkey was working fine to dowload 720p videos
---
Take care of yourself
#18AsucaHayashiPosted 10/17/2013 1:10:28 PM
downloading 720P videos was never really the problem but the 1080P videos that are giving me a headache.

unless google is working backwards and want to encrypt every video uploaded to their service which is just... ugh.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#19rpgianPosted 10/17/2013 3:10:09 PM
Idm is what I like for anything. There are a million firefox addons though that do that. Also there are even a few websites where you post a link from certain places and it makes them a download. I'd prefer it the download option just pop up on anything where you click play vs doing that though
#20razid(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 5:47:59 PM
Nah just tried downloadhelper, it could still only do 720. Looks like we'll just have to wait for someone to get a work around to youtube's encryptions...
---
Take care of yourself