This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A few questions about Memory (shopping for memory).

#115RCPosted 10/15/2013 4:31:15 PM(edited)
I currently have a Gigabyte motherboard that supports up to 24GB of memory. There are six slots. On the manual it says:

6 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 24 GB of system memory (Note 1)
Dual/3 channel memory architecture
Support for DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules

(Note 1) Due to Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.

First question is, am I required to have a dual kit at least or can I just use one stick for now?

If I go with a dual kit right now, can I buy the same kit later to use up the remaining slots or do I have to buy all at once?

Since it supports up to 24GB, can I just buy two dual kits of 8GB (2x8GB) or am I limited to just 4GB per slot? Can I go the double dual kit way (4 cards instead of 6)? Seems like the cheaper option.

Should I avoid memory with a Cas Latency of 10 or more?

My motherboard doesn't list 1600 MHz support. If I buy a 1600 card, will it downgrade to 1333?
---
Saturday, October 19 - Mike Alvarado vs. Ruslan Provodnikov
Friday, October 25 - Batman: Arkham Origins
#2Lonestar2000Posted 10/15/2013 6:55:47 PM
Yes you can only use one stick.
You can buy the kit later.
Pretty sure you are limited to 4GB per slot but check your manual.
Yes.
Yes it will.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#315RC(Topic Creator)Posted 10/15/2013 7:14:07 PM
Lonestar2000 posted...
Yes you can only use one stick.
You can buy the kit later.
Pretty sure you are limited to 4GB per slot but check your manual.
Yes.
Yes it will.

Thanks. What I quoted in the original post is all it says. I have Windows 7 64-bit though.
---
Saturday, October 19 - Mike Alvarado vs. Ruslan Provodnikov
Friday, October 25 - Batman: Arkham Origins
#4Killah PriestPosted 10/15/2013 7:29:34 PM(edited)
firmware updates can allow boards to use larger sticks, make sure if you've updated the firmware you're looking at the updated manual if possible. motherboard revisions can also matter some boards have multiple revisions during their lifetime.

I know my old asus board says in the manual it only supports up to 2gb sticks but I have 2X4 in there and its working flawlessly.

if you want to play it safe tho, stick with what the manual says that came with the board, or ask gigabyte support. for extra safe follow the QVL if your board supplies one.

personally I always go with matched pairs in a kit, but you can use 1 stick if you want.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.