This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Well, spilled water on my keyboard

#1AlleRacingPosted 10/15/2013 9:20:02 PM
Thought I avoided catastrophe, turned it over and put a towel under it. Turned it back over some time later, seemed to be working fine. Nope, a key is now registering as alt, a few seconds later, it started going haywire, typing random crap, bringing up the search box, full screening my browser... was a K90 too.

Think it might work if I let it dry some more, or is it done for good?

If the latter, keyboard recommendation topic! I was thinking K70 or Shine 3. I've tried to keep with a mostly black with red theme.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#2DisastersaurusPosted 10/15/2013 9:26:31 PM
I dunno. I use a Razer Blackwidow and I've spilled everything from water to milkshakes on it. I let it soak underwater for an hour in the tub, dry it out outside for a day, then it works fine. Depends on the model I guess.
---
hella butts
#3OldSorrowPosted 10/15/2013 9:27:07 PM
suppose to let it dry for a week
---
If you don't use Throwback Mode for a full week while logged in, you will lose access.
#4_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/15/2013 10:16:51 PM(edited)
I do not get how people spill liquids on their electronics, then plug it in 5 minutes later to see "whether it works".... I mean seriously. Do you know the reason liquid destroys electronics? And knowing that, why would you turn it back on?

Personally, I would immediately unplug. Open it up and take it apart. Flip it over. And let it sit there and dry for at least 24 hours.

K70 and Shine are decent. Though I can not stand Cherry stabilizers personally. I also do not like backlights. I find them useless for both gaming and typing. And even when I would need the legends I think a contrasting color legend on the keycap is easier on my eyes. Mostly, it is just a constant distracting glow coming from the keyboard. In my humble opinion , something like the Costar made CM quickfire rapid for half the price is the better buy and actually provides me with a better typing experience.

But this board loves its backlights.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#5wizardmonPosted 10/15/2013 10:29:28 PM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
I also do not like backlights. I find them useless for both gaming and typing. Mostly, it is just a constant distracting glow coming from the keyboard.
But this board loves its backlights.

I like backlights because it helps me locate the keyboard and align my hands with it via seeing it in my peripheral vision.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#6AlleRacing(Topic Creator)Posted 10/15/2013 10:40:32 PM
I do not get how people spill liquids on their electronics, then plug it in 5 minutes later

AlleRacing posted...
some time later

Yes, thank you for your insightful response. Had it upside down on a towel for 3 hours, unplugged, obviously.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#7_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/15/2013 11:19:11 PM(edited)
AlleRacing posted...
I do not get how people spill liquids on their electronics, then plug it in 5 minutes later

AlleRacing posted...
some time later

Yes, thank you for your insightful response. Had it upside down on a towel for 3 hours, unplugged, obviously.

5 minutes might have been an exaggeration. Your initial post implied that you did not wait very long. And that is true. 3 hours is not nearly enough. Especially if you did not open up the case.

Though I did not want to put you on the spot. We had a bunch of these kind of topics lately. So nothing I said was aimed at you specifically. It just reflects how generally surprised I am that people who know electronics (who put together their own PC's and what not) tend to behave so irrational when it comes to water damage.

I told you what you were supposed to do in this situation. And answered your question about mechanical keyboards. I thought that was an appropriate response, and probably as helpful as any you are going to get. Though reading back my comment, I might have been friendlier about it. That is true. But then again if this kind of response is not permitted, why make the topic? Do you want to hear you handled the situation correctly? I am sorry, but you did not. Obviously somebody was going to point that out.

Whether or not the keyboard is done for good depends on how long ago it happened. If all of this was just a few hours ago, then you still might be able to dry it and it might work correctly afterwards. If this was a longer time ago, then the things you are seeing are unrelated to the circuitry still being wet or anything like that and it is likely permanent damage.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#8SteamsterPosted 10/15/2013 11:06:48 PM
Disastersaurus posted...
I dunno. I use a Razer Blackwidow and I've spilled everything from water to milkshakes on it. I let it soak underwater for an hour in the tub, dry it out outside for a day, then it works fine. Depends on the model I guess.

My old Razer Tarantula has had just about everything spilled in it aside from candle wax and chili. And I mean that. Coffee, milk, juice, water, beer, tea, soda, soup, et cetera. Multiple times for some of them. I treated that thing like crap.

I don't use it anymore, but it works as well as it ever has and I never unplugged it to clean it out. The thing was a miracle machine.
#9MarikhenPosted 10/16/2013 1:40:15 AM
Step #1: Find a phillips screwdriver and a flathead screwdriver or something equally small, flat, and sturdy. Fill a sink basin with hot, or warm, soapy water now too.
Step #2: Pop out all the keys on your keyboard. Take a picture if you're worried about putting it back together properly.
Step #3: Remove all screws from the back and put them in a safe place.
Step #4: Take keyboard apart.
Step #5: Look for, and remove, any additional screws attaching circuit boards to various parts, remove them, and remove the electronics.
Step #6: Soak all of the plastic pieces of your keyboard in the sink excepting for those which ought to conduct electricity and any small, very flimsy sheets of plastic.
Step #7: Use a soft, dry cloth to dry off and/or clean the aforementioned excluded components. If there is any residue that requires cleaning consider either a cloth with a small bit lightly dampened or a cutip or cotton ball with rubbing alcohol for cleaning it up.
Step #8: Scrub plastic components as necessary to remove gunk, especially the recessed section of the "top" of the keyboard which your keys were stuck in.
Step #9: Let keys dry; this might take a couple hours so blowing in them once or twice to get much of the water out before air drying can help. Using an oven is theoretically plausible but discommended. Larger pieces can usually be towel-dried to a good degree of certainty that you aren't missing enough water to matter.
Step #10: Reassemble keyboard when pieces are completely dry.

That's generally how I clean keyboards and it takes me all of an hour or two from start to finish. The biggest issue with spilling fluids in a keyboard is that there are contacts on the underside of the plastic/rubber sheet that is (usually) between your keys and the circuit sheet "receiver" for the keyboard. Water, soda, and other fluids can bridge the gap between multiple "receivers" causing your keyboard to think you're pressing one or more keys in odd combinations or instead of others. This is more a case of cross-circuiting than short-circuiting.

If you're concerned only with that then steps 1 (sans filling the sink unless your keyboard is nasty enough you want to wash your hands after tinkering with it), 3, 4, 5, 7, and 10 are (mostly) what you need to do.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#10Dukaduka1k82Posted 10/16/2013 1:43:13 AM
1. Spill water on electronics.
2. Unplug
3. Shake and or paper towel excess water off electronic.
4. Place item in container and cover in dry uncooked rice (for me I let sit for 3-4 days)
5. Take item out of rice, see if there appears to be any water, if so place back in rice.
6. When item appears dry, test it out.
7. Profit???
---
Asus i7-3610QM @ 2.3Ghz, 16gig ram, Nvidia 660m 2Gb, 1Tb hdd @ 7200rpm