This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Free video converter? (ie, .mkv to .mp4, etc)

#11JockoPosted 10/16/2013 5:56:45 AM
I used a free program called "Super" a few years ago. It could convert every file type I could think of. The interface is weird and takes a little time to get used to. I remember if you right click on the main screen it would pull up all the options you need. I hope its still around.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#12El MagnificoPosted 10/16/2013 6:04:37 AM
phantasy posted...
I am also looking for a video converter but I want to convert some files (avi) to mpeg-4. I got handbrake but that converts to mp4 and my picture frame doesn't support that.

MP4 is just a container that can house a variety of different video codecs. You need to find out what video codecs are compatible with your picture frame and not just the container. Your picture frame probably has all sorts of limitations like requiring a specific frame rate and video resolution. This info should be in the manual or other documentation about the picture frame. Without knowing those details it would be hard to get a properly encoded video with any video encoder.
#13ChetyrePosted 10/16/2013 7:57:12 AM
To make things easier to understand, think of the container as a .zip file; You have a single zip file in your computer, but inside it there can be hundreds of files. Both mkv and mp4 are containers, they are just a file format that contains inside them an audio and a video stream (and they can have some other things like subtitles).

What your TV and whatever else needs is for those streams to be encoded in a specific way. Those encoded streams are then placed together inside the container.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#14sonic_man00Posted 10/16/2013 8:04:35 AM
Atube Catcher downloads videos from Youtube, Dailymotion and other video websites AND converts. Its also free.
---
PC > 360 > PS2 > 3DS > PSP > Wii
Windows 8/AMD Dual-Core E-3000/4 GB RAM/ATi Radeon HD 6310/320 GB HD
#15Kerr AvonPosted 10/16/2013 8:16:55 AM
Format Factory is free, powerful, and very configurable.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_format_factory/
---
"PCs don't catch viruses or malware. Stupid users do." - The Cranky Hermit.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/
#16Sir_Burpalot21Posted 10/16/2013 12:10:28 PM
I used Any Video Converter a few years ago. I don't know how the current version is now, but back when I used it the install was clean of bloat and the program itself was simple enough to use.
---
"Jack Tretton, chief executive of Sony Computer Entertainment America, says he is pleased to see so many unsold PS3s sitting on shelves." -IGN
#17arleasPosted 10/16/2013 12:14:17 PM
I used a free program called "Super" a few years ago. It could convert every file type I could think of.

I used to use this program too, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it today. The guy who designed the UI decided he wasn't being paid enough for all the hard work of making a UI for a bunch of free utilities so he started packing in a bunch of crapware with the installation. If you blocked it from updating at a certain point, you could keep using the old version, but otherwise, if you tried to update, saw what a crapfest it was and then backed out, he made it so the old versions wouldn't work anymore.

The quality of the output wasn't even that great (mostly because it was relying on a bunch of very old free command line utilities to do all the heavy lifting)

tl;dr Don't even think about using SUPER anymore. It's gone to s***.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/KDYNR.jpg
#18BogePosted 10/16/2013 3:59:51 PM
I use MKV2VOB
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#19Marioface5Posted 10/16/2013 4:16:25 PM
What would the best program be for converting .mkv files to something an Xbox 360 can play without sacrificing quality?
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5