This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Titan faster than 290X (Benchmark inside)

#61UnyieldingBRPosted 10/17/2013 3:21:55 PM
QuestofChosen posted...
SM1LER7 posted...
Benchmarks of 290x vs. 780, interpret as you will:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-r9-290x-benchmark-performance,24732.html

"AMD was very specific that the only numbers it’s approving come from BioShock Infinite and Tomb Raider. We’re only able to show you R9 290X compared to GeForce GTX 780, and only at 3840x2160."

Also: "There’s not much more I can say at this point, except that I have several cards tested at 3840x2160, and R9 290X doesn’t just do well against the GeForce GTX 780."

That is straight from the article.

Exactly. So not only does it do well against the 780, the reviewer is also hinting that is does well against the Titan.

And of course the temperatures are high, they are using REFERENCE cards with reference coolers. My GTX 580 hits 94 degrees no problem if I don't crank the fans to max. Not worried a bit.
#62Snuckie7Posted 10/17/2013 3:23:57 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Snuckie7 posted...
Temperature != heat, so I wonder why you guys are getting your panties in a bunch.

What is to defend? It runs much hotter, uses a lot more power and performs less than Nvidia's 2 year old GK110.

1. We really don't know how hot it runs, although it's definitely hotter than a Titan. That was pretty much a given.

2. Since when did overclockers care about power? The 290X doesn't throttle like the Titan does ;)

3. You couldn't buy a consumer GK110 until 7 months ago. Hawaii XT is not going to be made overnight. It's been around for a while; you just couldn't buy it.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#63hitokiri13Posted 10/17/2013 3:31:58 PM
This is dumb. Technology suppose to go forward. It's sad people forget about it. Say oh at least it cheaper.

I would love to see 290X a next generation GPU at low price beat a high price Titan by 2-4 folds. Not just because it was offered at $650 for titan like performance. You realize it's still a one year old technology.
---
Originally Posted by Manicdan
using a OCed quad for torrenting is like robbing your local video store with a rocket launcher.
#64EpicKingdom_Posted 10/17/2013 3:34:38 PM
Release date? SHUT UP and take my money!
---
3570k (212 Evo) | Z77 Extreme 4 | Sapphire 7850 2GB OC | 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | XFX PRO650w CE | 1TB Black WD | Fractal Design Define R4 | 3840x1080 | Logitech Z623
#65Xeeh_Bitz(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 3:34:47 PM
Snuckie7 posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Snuckie7 posted...
Temperature != heat, so I wonder why you guys are getting your panties in a bunch.

What is to defend? It runs much hotter, uses a lot more power and performs less than Nvidia's 2 year old GK110.

1. We really don't know how hot it runs, although it's definitely hotter than a Titan. That was pretty much a given.

2. Since when did overclockers care about power? The 290X doesn't throttle like the Titan does ;)

3. You couldn't buy a consumer GK110 until 7 months ago. Hawaii XT is not going to be made overnight. It's been around for a while; you just couldn't buy it.

How do you know the 290X doesn't throttle? You own one?

You could buy a GK110 over 7 months ago, pay more than you wished but the same GPU was available to purchase.

I'm just saying, AMDs R9 is really not impressive at all for it's price and how late it's releasing. If it released earlier, it would be different but it's really so close to Nvidia's new lineup it's just not worth the purchase, hell it's not worth a purchase of any high end gpu at the moment due to that fact alone. Overclockers care about power and temps, if its using an incredible amount already it leaves less room for OCing due to limitations and failures.
---
Best Windows ever, Windows 8!
#66Xeeh_Bitz(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 3:36:49 PM
hitokiri13 posted...
This is dumb. Technology suppose to go forward. It's sad people forget about it. Say oh at least it cheaper.

I would love to see 290X a next generation GPU at low price beat a high price Titan by 2-4 folds. Not just because it was offered at $650 for titan like performance. You realize it's still a one year old technology.

This is what I'm saying, it's performance is lackluster, it's heat and extra power usage sucks. Nvidia is releasing the 800 series next year, so it really makes purchasing one of those only for the hardcore AMD fans.

I see why AMD is pushing that Mantle, it's all they have to offer and they can't even launch the card with support for it(Probably to not end up in reviews during the cards launch)
---
#67Snuckie7Posted 10/17/2013 3:38:43 PM
hitokiri13 posted...

Is this the first GPU release you've seen or something?
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#68godplaysSNESPosted 10/17/2013 3:40:08 PM
The big performance increases remain absent because both AMD and Nvidia can't move onto 20nm yet.

It was the same deal when the Geforce 500 and HD 6000 series were released, they had to remain at 40nm, just like the 400 and 5000 had used, and there were no big leaps being done.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#69Xeeh_Bitz(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 3:42:39 PM
Snuckie7 posted...
hitokiri13 posted...

Is this the first GPU release you've seen or something?

Well, mostly all Graphic cards released are faster than the competitors current flagship.. not in this case. It's around the same, which is disappointing.

and I agree with the previous statement until we move to 20nm the upgrades will not be much compared to the current 28.

I'm just eager to upgrade again as I enjoy having new things, just nothing worth owning at the moment.
---
#70Snuckie7Posted 10/17/2013 3:47:58 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
How do you know the 290X doesn't throttle? You own one?

The 290X doesn't throttle like the Titan does.
I think AMD would have announced dynamic clock boosting/throttling if they had it. As for what we've seen so far, AMD's boost works exactly like it used to.

You could buy a GK110 over 7 months ago, pay more than you wished but the same GPU was available to purchase.

But not for gaming.

I'm just saying, AMDs R9 is really not impressive at all for it's price and how late it's releasing. If it released earlier, it would be different but it's really so close to Nvidia's new lineup it's just not worth the purchase, hell it's not worth a purchase of any high end gpu at the moment due to that fact alone. Overclockers care about power and temps, if its using an incredible amount already it leaves less room for OCing due to limitations and failures.

Nvidia's new lineup is either not very close, or not very impressive. 20nm isn't close to mass production for GPUs yet.

And no, a ~60W difference in peak power consumption is not really significant to an overclocker.
---