This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand why Microsoft treats PC gaming so poorly.

#11GoIrish80Posted 10/16/2013 11:35:10 AM
Steamster posted...
Pretty sure Microsoft's entire divisions of qualified people are well aware of the math and market potential.

MS wants you buying an Xbox. It's as simple as that.

Nothing more needs to be said than this.

The only thing I wish they would do is come out with their 1st party games after an extended amount of time. Give people a year or two to buy a game on Xbox. Fine, I don't care. Just give me the CHANCE to play it on PC.

If they announced Forza 4 for PC today, I'd be ecstatic. It's not like they make that many great 1st party titles anyway.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#12ZeroRaider(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 11:35:57 AM
Microsoft implemented a "Steam killer" in the most obtuse manner possible.

GFWL should have been built into the OS. It shouldn't have had so many bugs. It shouldn't have encrypted your f***ing save files. It shouldn't have had such a stupid patching process. They should have had sales.

So many things they could have done right.

If they went back and fixed it it could be a great platform.
#13AsucaHayashiPosted 10/16/2013 11:45:06 AM

>assuming they wanted it to be right to begin with.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#14YukitoRamboPosted 10/16/2013 12:09:13 PM
The LAST thing we need is a Microsoft-made Steam-like platform. Chances are, if(and WHEN) they do it, they're gonna lock Windows to make it so games can only be installed on THAT platform.

Though Gabe Newell was probably more spooked at the fact that Steam will have to compete directly with Microsoft, which is why he went and create his own SteamOS.

inb4GOG
inb4GreenManGaming
inb4Origin
inb4Uplay
---
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed" - Alexander Pope
#15ZeroRaider(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 12:25:16 PM
This thread is about what Microsoft can do to improve their position in the market, not about what would be best for us gamers.
#16ArthasRebornPosted 10/16/2013 12:48:43 PM
ZeroRaider posted...

GFWL should have been built into the OS. It shouldn't have had so many bugs. It shouldn't have encrypted your f***ing save files. It shouldn't have had such a stupid patching process. They should have had sales.

Microsoft's pisspoor handling of digital distribution is why I'm always so sceptical of everyone who said if gamers didn't whine so much, the Xbox One could have been a fantastic haven and starting point for DD on consoles.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/arthasreborn
http://i.imgur.com/0Zamww5.jpg http://i.imgur.com/PDgXlnY.jpg
#17Darkcloud20Posted 10/16/2013 1:30:28 PM
ZeroRaider posted...

So the windows 8 Store
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#18CourtofOwlsPosted 10/16/2013 2:08:46 PM
because they can't screw over pc users at every possible turn like they do with the 360
---
Boycott Best Buy!
#19AlexKidd5000Posted 10/17/2013 4:19:18 PM
If Microsoft could kill PC gaming, they would. I'm sure they like nothing more than to see PC gaming go away, and have there crappy Xbox consoles replace it. That is why I hope MS goes down in flames, though that won't happen. I'm glad that Valve is making SteamOS, and attempting to shift PC gaming from Windows to Linux. Despite what People may think of Linux, it really is a great platform for anything, and everything, it just needs support, more games, and better game development tools. If PC gaming shifts over to Linux, then we will never have to worry about some greedy, arrogant company like MS ruining the OS, locking things down, and ripping us off. Not to mention anyone can design a Linux OS anyway they want.
#20darkstar4221Posted 10/17/2013 5:58:53 PM(edited)
Nineteen99 posted...
Microsoft's situation is awkward because they have two products that directly compete with each other: PCs for gaming and Xbox. According to their current business model, they believe that the Xbox brings in more money than Windows, which makes sense. They sell Xboxes and full-priced games. With the PC, they only sell the OS and get minimal returns on games (since they know they won't get very many people to buy full-priced games on PC and GFWL was a total failure).

Nothing awkward about it, for decades Microsoft has had a monopoly in the PC desktop market and made billions of having the most widely used operating system in the world (ie since there are no close substitute to windows ms gets billions of dollars selling licenses of windows) . Microsoft used that billions of dollars of monopoly money to try their hands on the console market, and so for they have been successful and profitable.

That's all it is. They are not competing against one another, Microsoft gets profits from their usual business model (selling licenses of their software) and console gaming.