This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

First ARMA II, now Deus Ex: HR. WTF?

#1KillerTrufflePosted 10/16/2013 10:16:50 AM(edited)
Is fact checking just something grandpas in the news industry tell their grandkids about as a joke now or something? Sheesh.

First, ITV mistakes some ARMA II footage as "real" and uses it as video evidence that Gaddafi supporting the IRA.

Now The Sun in Britain has run an article claiming Sarif Industries is a real-life US company that has developed a cybernetic eye.

"And US firm Sarif Industries has developed an eyeball implant, left."

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/10/16/britains-most-read-paper-reckons-deus-ex-human-revolution-cybernetic-eyeball-is-real/

Good grief.

EDIT: Screenshot of the actual article blurb:

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2013/10/The-Sun-Sarif-610x346.jpg
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#2Bikes-Posted 10/16/2013 10:21:15 AM
From what I've seen of the sun they're a really really terrible piece of crap.
---
FC: 2921-9087-2265
#3AllGodsDiePosted 10/16/2013 10:36:17 AM
I hate how they develop these things with the idea they can be of use to us, but in reality only the wealthy will be able to afford these products. I mean, just think about the price on having your eyes lasered or cancer treatment/anything. Now think about a robotic eyeball...I can't imagine it being less then 10-15k.
---
Xboxtags-KarmaRetention/Pebble7880.
Steam-Allgodsdie
#4KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 10:37:35 AM
Sure... won't argue that... but they *are* still the most-read newspaper in the UK, so they have a massive audience. And it's not just them - I've seen plenty of other times news agencies have reported things without bothering with making sure they're true. It's just interesting that video games are starting to pop up mistaken as real-life events in news reports.
---
#5AllGodsDiePosted 10/16/2013 10:39:08 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
Sure... won't argue that... but they *are* still the most-read newspaper in the UK, so they have a massive audience. And it's not just them - I've seen plenty of other times news agencies have reported things without bothering with making sure they're true. It's just interesting that video games are starting to pop up mistaken as real-life events in news reports.

On the bright side, artificial eyes are in development actually.
---
Xboxtags-KarmaRetention/Pebble7880.
Steam-Allgodsdie
#6YukitoRamboPosted 10/16/2013 10:40:53 AM
Whaddaya know...

Games have become so realistic than non-gamers may confuse some things from games to be real-life. I remember seeing a few pics from Crysis(don't remember which one) being mistaken for real-life capture.

All the while, us gamers keep screaming for MOAR PIXELS!! MOAR TEXTURES!! MORE LIGHT REFLECTIONS!!
---
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed" - Alexander Pope
#7lionheart5656Posted 10/16/2013 10:43:38 AM
YukitoRambo posted...
Whaddaya know...

Games have become so realistic than non-gamers may confuse some things from games to be real-life. I remember seeing a few pics from Crysis(don't remember which one) being mistaken for real-life capture.

All the while, us gamers keep screaming for MOAR PIXELS!! MOAR TEXTURES!! MORE LIGHT REFLECTIONS!!

Just because freedom of the press allows them to be completely irresponsible and stupid doesn't mean we couldn't use better picture quality.

The only way it could possibly be mistaken for real is if the guy didn't even look at it.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#8KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 10:44:10 AM
AllGodsDie posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

On the bright side, artificial eyes are in development actually.

True - and there have already been some successful tests. Nothing to the degree Sarif has - if Sarif even EXISTED - tho. heh
---
#9YukitoRamboPosted 10/16/2013 10:47:26 AM
lionheart5656 posted...
YukitoRambo posted...
Whaddaya know...

Just because freedom of the press allows them to be completely irresponsible and stupid doesn't mean we couldn't use better picture quality.

The only way it could possibly be mistaken for real is if the guy didn't even look at it.

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to push for better graphics. I mean, I do think that the level we have now is already good enough with SOME tweaking for many more generations, but I still believe that we need to come up with better GPUs to support higher details.

...I just find the mishaps ironic. Highly amusing actually.
---
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed" - Alexander Pope
#10KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 10:51:24 AM
lionheart5656 posted...
YukitoRambo posted...
Whaddaya know...

I actually didn't think of it as him thinking it was a bad thing. Since we play these games all the time, the places games fall short of realism stand out a lot to us, so of course we're gonna ask for more. I agree, at least in the case of ARMA II, the news station must not have even looked at the video footage first, because it just absolutely didn't look real. As for the Sarif Industries thing, 30 seconds of fact checking would have been enough to show them it was fake. Just a quick glance at their "official" website.
---