This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MS/Crytek treating Ryse developers as slaves, just like the ones in the game

#1snkboiPosted 10/16/2013 9:36:45 AM
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/202444/Developers_react_The_RyseFacts_hashtag_and_the_war_on_crunch.php

The #RyseFacts hashtag on Twitter was definitely one to watch last night. What started as a "fact" about late night office dinners for the team behind upcoming Xbox One game Ryse: Son of Rome soon snowballed into dozens of developers sounding off about development crunch.

The Crytek team is currently putting numerous extra hours of work into development of the Xbox One launch title, in the run-up to release next month.

In an ill-advised tweet, the official Ryse account explained that "we will have served the crunching team more than 11,500 dinners throughout development." The hashtag #RyseFacts was plopped on the end for good measure.

What followed was a torrent of game developers displaying their dismay at not simply the fact that the Crytek team is crunching on its latest game, but that the tweet appears to suggest a level of pride in this fact.

No matter how much you neglect your family and health to make a game, it still ends up in the bargain bin eventually. #RyseFacts
---
i think it's nice
#2HanfengLinPosted 10/16/2013 9:38:19 AM
Oh look, nothing new at all in the development world.
#3SythisTaruPosted 10/16/2013 9:40:51 AM
So, feeding them meals for free is considered slavery now? I'll take the job if they don't want it.
#450inchDLPPosted 10/16/2013 9:40:53 AM
This is why our world sucks now. no one takes pride in working hard anymore, and if you do you are looked down upon like these guys are. so what if they put in extra hours at their job? if anything i see that as a good thing. no wonder i am considered best at my job its because all i gotta do is my job and i stand out as great. too many people proud of being lazy asses today. its never "how much can i do today" its alway "how little can i get away with doing today".
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Thereal50inchDLP -contains my Dreamcast project of putting HD vids of each US game up.http://bf3stats.com/stats_360/louerina
#5snkboi(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 9:42:12 AM
the best comment and why i'll never get into game crunching development

No matter how much you neglect your family and health to make a game, it still ends up in the bargain bin eventually. #RyseFacts
---
i think it's nice
#6Treason686Posted 10/16/2013 9:42:40 AM
HanfengLin posted...

Correct.

But I have always wondered, at what point are there diminishing returns? I know when I work extra, I am not as sharp as I am when I'm well rested.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#7SythisTaruPosted 10/16/2013 9:43:21 AM
50inchDLP posted...
This is why our world sucks now. no one takes pride in working hard anymore, and if you do you are looked down upon like these guys are. so what if they put in extra hours at their job? if anything i see that as a good thing. no wonder i am considered best at my job its because all i gotta do is my job and i stand out as great. too many people proud of being lazy asses today. its never "how much can i do today" its alway "how little can i get away with doing today".

They need to slip adderall into the free meals :D
#8Treason686Posted 10/16/2013 9:44:18 AM
50inchDLP posted...

When salaried workers are making 60k, working 12 hours 6-7 days a week, that's an issue.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#9HanfengLinPosted 10/16/2013 9:45:38 AM
Treason686 posted...
HanfengLin posted...

Correct.

But I have always wondered, at what point are there diminishing returns? I know when I work extra, I am not as sharp as I am when I'm well rested.

There are LOTS of diminishing returns.

Hell, the best example of DR is in fact DLC. And not all DLC, mind you. "That" DLC. You know, content LITERALLY cut from the game explicitly that we are paying for to get back.

And I don't think this is just "working extra" so much as "working extra because of an ass deadline .
#10SythisTaruPosted 10/16/2013 9:45:42 AM
Treason686 posted...
50inchDLP posted...

When salaried workers are making 60k, working 12 hours 6-7 days a week, that's an issue.

Aren't they making over-time for all this extra work? I really doubt they would be doing it for free.