This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tech support advice for mom?

#11Dorami(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 3:35:44 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
So why are tablets - like Windows 8 tablets - out? Is it mostly just the fact that the keyboards suck?

x86 Windows tablets are ok. I was actually thinking about the Yoga 11S. Except I suspect she won't use the tablet functions much.

Other tablets are out because of MS Office.

Btw, QQ is an IM program/protocol.
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#12fallenswordsPosted 10/16/2013 3:44:53 PM
Dorami posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
So why are tablets - like Windows 8 tablets - out? Is it mostly just the fact that the keyboards suck?

x86 Windows tablets are ok. I was actually thinking about the Yoga 11S. Except I suspect she won't use the tablet functions much.

Btw, QQ is an IM program/protocol.

MS Surface?
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 8/28/2011 10:09:48 AM: http://bit.ly/jJ2ZNS
Katawa Shoujo changed my life. http://katawa-shoujo.com/
#13gastamanPosted 10/16/2013 5:21:47 PM(edited)
Dorami posted...

Windows RT tablets come with MS Home and Student 2013 pre-installed (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote, and, soon, Outlook). Skype is also available. Installing apps is as easy as clicking install. IE is also available. The tablets are extremely light and portable and won't need to be removed from the bag at airports like 12"+ laptops.

Surface w/ Touch Cover is $400
Surface 2 with Touch cover is $530
Surface 2 with Touch Cover 2 is $570
Surface 2 with Type Cover 2 is $580

I know a lot of people here can't stand Windows RT, but it may just work for your Mom. The functionality of a laptop that she needs is available, with the portability and simplistic operation/program installation of a tablet.

Edit: Add $100 to those prices for Surface 64GB/Surface 2 64GB. Also, Surface 2 comes with 200GB Skydrive for 2 years and Skype Premium for 1 year for free.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#14self-immolationPosted 10/16/2013 5:17:03 PM
Dorami posted...
Likes Skype and QQ.

you chinese?

surface RT is a good choice but you'll need a keyboard for ms office

if it were me i'd get a base model thinkpad (a t-series for durability) and put a 128 gb ssd on it. it'll be less portable than a tablet but still easy to carry and you'll get more utility out of it
---
SMELL THE GASOLINE
I LIGHT THE FIRE INSIDE
#15gastamanPosted 10/16/2013 6:13:48 PM
self-immolation posted...
Dorami posted...
Likes Skype and QQ.

you chinese?

surface RT is a good choice but you'll need a keyboard for ms office

if it were me i'd get a base model thinkpad (a t-series for durability) and put a 128 gb ssd on it. it'll be less portable than a tablet but still easy to carry and you'll get more utility out of it

Just realized what QQ is from this post. If you go Windows RT for your mom, you could try this:
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/zh-cn/app/qq/f14c496c-0a59-4193-91ec-66f4c4cc0368
http://www.mobilityminded.com/14544/how-to-download-windows-8-and-rt-apps-from-another-region-location-or-country/
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#16Dorami(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 10:05:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

A few problems with Windows RT:
1. It's limited to Office RT. Her line of work requires high compatibility with document exchange. I prefer not to omit features on the x86 version.

2. She uses USB key authentication for some tasks. I do not know their compatibility with Windows RT.

3. Her attempt at using Mac has convinced me that the computer needs to be a model on which I can give effective help.

I like Thinkpads, but she hates them because they look like black rectangles. Maybe she'll like the -40 generation more, because it has a greyish tinge rather than the plain black, but I doubt it. Despite being in the right target audience for Thinkpads, she does not want to use one. A Latitude I might be able to convince her to use.

On a tangential note, the L series is the entry level traditional Thinkpad.
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#17PraetorXynPosted 10/16/2013 11:13:17 PM
Just make sure it has a Professional version of Windows on it so you can Remote Desktop into her machine and fix it. Best tech support call you can possibly make.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#18Davel23Posted 10/17/2013 4:53:29 AM(edited)
Remote Desktop requires reconfiguration of any firewalls that the machine may be behind, if she's on the road that may not be an option. I would recommend Logmein or Teamviewer. Also, Remote Desktop locks the local user out of their session while you're connected to the machine, Logmein and Teamviewer allow you to work in tandem with the user so you can have them demonstrate problems and show them solutions, rather than having to try to explain them.

---
Your mom's box.
#19_Zero1_Posted 10/17/2013 4:55:22 AM
Use Teamviewer 8 for remote desktop
---
i5 3570k| Radeon HD 7950| 16GB 1600mhz DDR3| Asrock Z77 Pro4| Coolmaster V8 CPU Cooler| W8| 700GB HDD