This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC in living room for first time, advice?

#1Solomons_ClosePosted 10/16/2013 4:53:56 PM
Hey folks,

I just recently got a new gaming pc that I was able to talk my wife into letting me put in our rec room downstairs hooked up to my new 60" plasma.

I've never had this kind of setup before so any tips or advice would be very welcome.

The tv is a very new Samsung 60" plasma hooked up to a polk audio soundbar and sub. The tv is sat on a fairly large wooden media cabinet. I will be sitting on a couch about 8 feet or so away from the tv.

So I'm going to connect the pc to tv with an hdmi cable. I was thinking about buying usb extension cords for my gaming keyboard, razr naga mouse, and game pad. I think there's lots of space on the media cabinet's shelves to roll them out and in as necessary.

I'm wondering what to get for putting the kb and mouse on though. What do some of you use? Table? Shelf on your laps?

Please sound in with any experiences you've had with a similar setup. Thanks!
#2este914Posted 10/16/2013 5:01:45 PM
I use a wireless keyboard and mouse :) Bluetooth ftw.
---
...::: este914 :::...
The One & Only!
#3Solomons_Close(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 5:07:45 PM
este914 posted...
I use a wireless keyboard and mouse :) Bluetooth ftw.

Where do you sit and how do you set them up while you sit? No input lag?
#4UberLurkerPosted 10/16/2013 6:01:29 PM(edited)
I use a wireless keyboard/trackpad combo, but more often than not I just end up using Unified Remote (smartphone app) and a wireless 360 controller.

Since my living room PC fills the role of HTPC I don't type much on it anyways, hence the de-emphasis on keyboard use.
#5TimePharaohPosted 10/16/2013 5:27:47 PM(edited)
Don't do it, that's the only advice you need.

Worried about lag but wants to use a TV lolz
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#6Cush1978Posted 10/16/2013 5:30:34 PM
The distance you sit from a computer monitor is less than the distance you would sit from the same sized TV. On my 50" TV, I found myself sitting 5 or 6 feet away to comfortably use the computer.
---
Cush - Wii Friend Code: 8824 6045 3862 1803
#7Solomons_Close(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 5:55:08 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
Don't do it, that's the only advice you need.

Worried about lag but wants to use a TV lolz

My TV is a new generation plasma that has a game mode. I won't pretend it's as quick a proper monitor but I believe it will do well enough. I've never used Bluetooth peripherals so I asked about lag, really lolz worthy that.
#8NfuzedXGamerPosted 10/16/2013 5:57:30 PM
Anyone try those new sweet chili sun chips?? (crunches) OMG,.... Umm yes use a wireless adapter and bluetooth but youll still get lag on your tv, i think,.. I dunno,.. I just want more karma man.
#9Solomons_Close(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 5:57:56 PM
Cush1978 posted...
The distance you sit from a computer monitor is less than the distance you would sit from the same sized TV. On my 50" TV, I found myself sitting 5 or 6 feet away to comfortably use the computer.

Thanks, was that due to resolution and/or text size issues?
#10OrgeLambartPosted 10/17/2013 4:00:46 AM
just a word of advice if you play multiplayer games.... don't do it on a 60 incher, you'll do far worse than on something smaller, having to wade your eyes over the whole 60 inches will require far more effort than a smaller tv.

playing games on a 52 inch tv I was far better than playing on a 65 inch television. It was odd but very true.
---
Xboxlive - Orge Lambart , Steam ID - Orge Lambart