This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC in living room for first time, advice?

#11Solomons_Close(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 5:53:39 AM
OrgeLambart posted...
just a word of advice if you play multiplayer games.... don't do it on a 60 incher, you'll do far worse than on something smaller, having to wade your eyes over the whole 60 inches will require far more effort than a smaller tv.

playing games on a 52 inch tv I was far better than playing on a 65 inch television. It was odd but very true.

Thanks, I never thought about that. I wonder though, would that be something you'd eventually get acclimated to?
#12Lonestar2000Posted 10/17/2013 6:21:10 AM
You had to talk your wife into letting you do this? I suggest you buy some balls too.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#13kill2thisPosted 10/17/2013 6:39:38 AM(edited)
If it's going to be a permanent thing, maybe this would be an option to look at? obviously due to its price I wouldn't recommend buying for a one off use.
http://www.nerdytec.com/index.php

Edit: Link if you were to buy from US
https://steigerdynamics.com/productcart/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=375
#14Cush1978Posted 10/17/2013 8:02:21 AM
Solomons_Close posted...
Cush1978 posted...
The distance you sit from a computer monitor is less than the distance you would sit from the same sized TV. On my 50" TV, I found myself sitting 5 or 6 feet away to comfortably use the computer.

Thanks, was that due to resolution and/or text size issues?

Well, both. Text size as a result of the resolution. Sure you can increase your font size in your browser, but you'd have to do that for every application you actually want to read. If I watch a movie at 1280x720 (the TV was 720p), I can comfortably sit back on the couch.

If I'm trying to game, HUD/dialog is too small from the couch. Browser text is small. Emails are small. And so forth. The text is the "right" size in proportion to the resolution, but again, you sit closer to a monitor than you do a TV. That's why apps like Steam have "Big Picture Mode" and other ways of compensating for being on a TV.
---
Cush - Wii Friend Code: 8824 6045 3862 1803
#15lionheart5656Posted 10/17/2013 8:06:24 AM
Always on a table of some sort.

Hard to do anything on a surface that's not stable.

Also, I sit way farther from my TV then I did from my monitor so I guess it just depends on the person.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#16ZeraphLordSPosted 10/17/2013 8:08:57 AM
Enjoy your first time in the living room with your PC :)
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs
#17Solomons_Close(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 9:03:23 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#18polopiliPosted 10/17/2013 9:28:49 AM
We use a regular 24'' monitor. I have an extra wireless mouse set up on the coffee table. Good enough to control volume and play videos.
#19Lonestar2000Posted 10/17/2013 9:55:06 AM
Solomons_Close posted...
Lonestar2000 posted...
You had to talk your wife into letting you do this? I suggest you buy some balls too.

Well we had a conversation about it and we both decided we liked the idea of freeing up the old "computer room" for something else. Not sure what you are used to in relationships, if you've ever been in any that is, but mutually agreed upon courses of action generally equate to a better quality of living in a household. If something is a big decision that is outside our norm we talk about it first.

My balls are just fine, but since we are making suggestions, may I suggest you try being a little less stupid and a little more funny?

Moving a computer to a different room is "a big decision"?

LOLWTF
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#20afi1984Posted 10/17/2013 10:02:39 AM
If you have an ikea around you pick up a Little laptop tabke called the ikea dave. Its the perfect table for your living Room pc gaming needs. Also get yourself some long usb adapters. There are some decent wireless mouses like the razer naga buy wireless keyboards suck. I've been playing like this for years
---
i5 760 @3.4, 570 gtx. (insert other useless parts)