This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How is it possible to have HDTV through antenna, but not easily streaming?

#1ConkerPosted 10/16/2013 11:15:02 PM
I by no means have the fastest internet around, but at around 22Mbps it should be sufficient for 720p streaming for most online content. I understand that the infrastructure, servers for the content, and other factors come into play...but it blows my mind that we aren't at a point that OTA Television can't just be watched at the exact same quality without any lag online.

On another note, how is it possible that the radio frequencies for OTA TV are good enough for HD but we barely match that (especially the consistency of the service) for mobile data? Seems strange to me.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#2KillerTrufflePosted 10/16/2013 11:42:05 PM
We are at that point. I've streamed 720p just fine - it largely depends on how your ISP prioritizes traffic from various sites.

Keep in mind that most TV broadcasts don't typically exceed 1080i, and that is usually satellite or cable.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#3Conker(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 12:48:19 AM
Well, TV never has a buffer or has to adjust quality, and that's one of the biggest things...why is it possible to keep the consistent stream (through the OTA radio frequencies used for antenna TV, or the cable lines for cable...which is the same line used for my cable internet) but mobile and even home internet varies so drastically.

I guess I can understand the ISP prioritization, but then I wonder...why does there have to be. A comparison is this: there can be millions of viewers of TV and it never changes quality or has to pause, but internet with millions of users and ever growing bandwidth, we deal with varying quality and buffering all the time.

It makes no sense since many of us use the same service for for TV as we do internet. If I can watch 720p HDTV and switch channels anytime without an issue, why can't we switch youtube videos or streaming video, etc. instantly without buffering at the same quality? Minus maybe slight loading of the webpages and going through the modem/router, it should stream pretty comparable. I guess we just aren't there yet. Can't companies just apply the same methods of streaming video as they do for OTA, Satellite, and Cable TV?
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#4deadlyforcemanPosted 10/17/2013 7:26:29 AM
That would mean that you couldn't skip through videos, and that they would already be playing...all the time. You go to a YouTube video and tell youtube that you would like to watch it from the beginning.

With TV, it's already airing and you're not interacting with it, you've just viewing something and if you get there in the middle then oh well.
---
Member of the WWEGSB Mafia
DSM for life...'95 GSX - 9.381 at 153mph