This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the original Deus Ex really that good? I'm not sure how I can play the game

#11MarceloSampaioPosted 10/17/2013 6:44:29 AM(edited)
Tyranius2 posted...
the shooting is horrible. Its not precise

>what is an 'RPG'?

Also, I remember downing bad guys with a single shot to the head with my silenced 10mm pistol. Seems you want your character to be precise with no points in your skills. Upgrade the pistol skill and you'll be accurate with the pistol. Upgrade the AR skill and you'll be skilled with the assault rifle. It's an RPG after all, not an FPS with RPG elements.

I never said that. I was just explaining the game to him. I actually LIKE the game the way it is, but its NOT a game for everyone. And its NOT a realistic game. In my opinion, it would suck if it where, as I don't really like realistic games.

But saying that the game isn't realistic is NOT the same as bashing the game. You can't say Doom is realistic, can you? ;) Yet, its an amazing game.

Basically, I want the TC to understand that this is NOT a pure FPS. This is a RPG, NOT a FPS, but since its a RPG with FPS elements, people seem to expect it to play like a FPS, which isn't the case. The Steam store lists it as an Action game, and this confuses some people that buy the game expecting a pure FPS (as in, people that don't really read the description. :p).

---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!
#12The cranky hermitPosted 10/17/2013 6:44:50 AM
It's not an RPG. It just has very good RPG elements. You can easily describe every core aspect of Deus Ex as "like another FPS, but with <RPG element>." Even with pistol skill maxed out, you still have to aim the same way you would aim in, say, Counter-Strike. It's not enough to point in their general direction as you would in something like Daggerfall.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#13Tyranius2Posted 10/17/2013 6:47:01 AM
MarceloSampaio posted...
Tyranius2 posted...
the shooting is horrible. Its not precise

>what is an 'RPG'?

Also, I remember downing bad guys with a single shot to the head with my silenced 10mm pistol. Seems you want your character to be precise with no points in your skills. Upgrade the pistol skill and you'll be accurate with the pistol. Upgrade the AR skill and you'll be skilled with the assault rifle. It's an RPG after all, not an FPS with RPG elements.

I never said that. I was just explaining the game to him. I actually LIKE the game the way it is, but its NOT a game for everyone. And its NOT a realistic game. In my opinion, it would suck if it where, as I don't really like realistic games.

But saying that the game isn't realistic is NOT the same as bashing the game. You can't say Doom is realistic, can you? ;) Yet, its an amazing game.

Basically, I want the TC to understand that this is NOT a pure FPS. This is a RPG, NOT a FPS, but since its a RPG with FPS elements, people seem to expect it to play like a FPS, which isn't the case. The Steam store lists it as an Action game, and this confuses some people that buy the game expecting a pure FPS (as in, people that don't really read the description. :p).

Fair enough, but saying "the shooting is not precise" isn't accurate since putting points into the skill of your choice will make the weapon precise and deadly.
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[
#14Dark_SpiretPosted 10/17/2013 6:48:22 AM
shooting always sucked, but outside of that it holds up well from a gameplay standpoint. most games nowadays cant even get right what DX did 13 years ago.
---
Currently playing: Grand Theft Auto 5 - Shadow Warrior(2013) - State of Decay
#15Tyranius2Posted 10/17/2013 6:52:28 AM
Even with pistol skill maxed out, you still have to aim the same way you would aim in, say, Counter-Strike.

RPGs have superseded this particular notion a decade ago
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[
#16The cranky hermitPosted 10/17/2013 7:03:49 AM
What RPG's core mechanics can be described as "like <existing RPG> but it controls like Counter-Strike" ?
---
#17DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/17/2013 7:07:37 AM
The cranky hermit posted...
What RPG's core mechanics can be described as "like <existing RPG> but it controls like Counter-Strike" ?

Plenty. Anything from the recent elderscrolls and fallout series, and hell even games like Divinity II behave a lot like a shooter requiring relatively pinpoint accuracy. Unless you are saying those aren't RPG's too.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#18Kosba_2142Posted 10/17/2013 7:26:30 AM
http://goo.gl/Tahv0Y
---
CATS. That's about it honestly...
#19The cranky hermitPosted 10/17/2013 7:47:13 AM
Plenty. Anything from the recent elderscrolls and fallout series,

Elder Scrolls does NOT control anything like Counter-Strike. Reflexes and accuracy play a very minor role in whether you survive an encounter or not. Only archery actually depends on aiming, and you can't play the game CS-style with a bow no matter what your stats look like.

As for Fallout 3+, there's VATS. Even without VATS, combat is still primarily decided by your stats - it takes very little skill to aim at your enemies.

And I haven't played Divinity II, but its Youtube videos look hack n' slashy, not a game with CS-like shooter mechanics.
---
#20DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/17/2013 8:18:21 AM(edited)
The cranky hermit posted...
Plenty. Anything from the recent elderscrolls and fallout series,

Elder Scrolls does NOT control anything like Counter-Strike. Reflexes and accuracy play a very minor role in whether you survive an encounter or not. Only archery actually depends on aiming, and you can't play the game CS-style with a bow no matter what your stats look like.

As for Fallout 3+, there's VATS. Even without VATS, combat is still primarily decided by your stats - it takes very little skill to aim at your enemies.

And I haven't played Divinity II, but its Youtube videos look hack n' slashy, not a game with CS-like shooter mechanics.

And I can play deus ex without shooting a firearm at all if I wanted... What exactly is your point? Also in deus ex your accuracy is determined by your skill in that area. So yeah I'd argue its a lot more rpg than you are making it out to be.

Divinity can be played as an archer if a person likes. Fallout can have you rocking headshots with starter weapons without vats very easily. I never used vats at all and have well over 400 hours combined in the games. Stats raise damage sure but a person can take on pretty much any enemy with the same skills a cs player would have.

edit: I played as a mage in skyrim and oblivion and the amount of point and shoot spells did make it feel like shooter in many respects... But sure go on and explain how CS requires twitch skills and deus ex does as well.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1