This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the original Deus Ex really that good? I'm not sure how I can play the game

#31The cranky hermitPosted 10/17/2013 9:03:33 PM
And I can play deus ex without shooting a firearm at all if I wanted... What exactly is your point?

My point is that these games don't even HAVE the shooter mechanics that Deus Ex revolves around. And there are plenty of FPS's that you can play without shooting a firearm at all. Having options doesn't make it an RPG. Having options isn't even an RPG element. At least skill points are RPG elements.

Also in deus ex your accuracy is determined by your skill in that area.

So? Accuracy (as in statistical accuracy) isn't everything. It doesn't determine whether you hit or not - it merely affects it, and can only affect it negatively. The first thing that determines if you hit is whether or not you the player are aiming properly.

The point is, just because you have to aim does not mean the game is not an RPG.

My point is that if you take away Deus Ex's FPS mechanics, you are not left with a workable game, let alone something resembling an RPG. While if you take away its RPG mechanics, you get Deus Ex: Invisible War & Human Revolution.

And I am not trying to downplay its RPG mechanics in any way at all. Deus Ex is a brilliant game, and would be boring without the RPG mechanics (exhibit A and B being the sequels). But the very fact that you can take away the RPG mechanics and be left with a shooter shows that it's an FPS at heart with RPG mechanics added in, not the other way around.

Fallout 3 is the other way around. The game doesn't work even on a mechanical level without the RPG mechanics. The engine is not built for twitch shooting. But take away the FPS mechanics, and you still have VATS.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#32SteamsterPosted 10/17/2013 9:19:40 PM
Oakland510_ posted...
I've been part of the master race for a couple years now and I only played games with good, manly graphics

Stopped reading here.

You know nothing of the master race.
#33DiviDudePosted 10/17/2013 9:31:26 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#34DiviDudePosted 10/17/2013 9:36:42 PM
But not a lot of people are still out there that can appreciate what sort of feeling and atmosphere pixelated goodness can created

Jesus that's some hardcore unchecked nostalgia goggles right there.
#35JKatarnPosted 10/17/2013 10:32:01 PM
"Ancient and fugly?" - Are you perhaps 14-16? It's definitely a good game, worthy of your time, and if somewhat dated graphics are so bothersome to you, I don't think you're the type of person who'd enjoy the gameplay anyway.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#36JKatarnPosted 10/17/2013 10:36:01 PM
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
If you can't play it because of the graphics, it's your fault for convincing yourself that you can't play it because of the graphics.

Just play the game with one thing on your mind: have fun

I'm a fan of nice graphics and aesthetics, but I can live without them.

Also, there are a few graphics mods you can try for Deus Ex. I'd recommend playing it without them first, though. If you really think they would help, then go ahead and install them.

Threads like these make me glad our first family computer was a 16-color TI-99/4a (though I'm not quite as old as that would imply, we got the machine very near the tail-end of it/TI's popularity in the home computer space and I was a young child), as I've gone through several generations of computer/console hardware evolution I can appreciate the change these iterations have brought while still being able to enjoy older titles.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
#37JKatarnPosted 10/17/2013 10:52:18 PM
Panopictonguy posted...
No controller input makes it hard to play. I really hate keyboard gaming especially when you need octopus fingers to get full functionality.

?? No you don't, I have normal sized hands and had no problem playing Deus-Ex (or any other first-person perspective game)....yes your hands have to move a bit more than on a controller, say hitting the number keys or TAB etc, but it's hardly insurmountable. You just need to play more games with a keyboard, you'll get used to it.
---
#38JKatarnPosted 10/17/2013 10:55:44 PM
jake-sf posted...
There has never been a graphical enhancement that was true to the feeling of the game without them, so thats the reason I'd give. But not a lot of people are still out there that can appreciate what sort of feeling and atmosphere pixelated goodness can created. That said, Deus Ex doesn't really have that -> and it was outdated even when it came out. At worst, some characters would "feel" a bit different.

Not really, Unreal was released in 98 (the engine it used), and it had probably been in development since then (likely a few years earlier), and the Unreal engine 2/Halo engine etc. wouldn't be released for another 2 years, so it was pretty current. The Unreal engine didn't have some features like spline surfaces etc. that the Quake III engine (released in 99) had, but it was up to snuff technically - you needed a fairly hefty machine (for 2000) to run the game well at the higher settings/resolution at the time.
---
#39jake-sfPosted 10/17/2013 11:52:40 PM
DiviDude posted...
But not a lot of people are still out there that can appreciate what sort of feeling and atmosphere pixelated goodness can created

Yeah, whatever.

Go play Silent Hill on PSX, and if you're too moronic to comprehend after, its not my problem.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#40DiviDudePosted 10/18/2013 5:20:30 AM
jake-sf posted...
DiviDude posted...

Yeah, whatever.

Go play Silent Hill on PSX, and if you're too moronic to comprehend after, its not my problem.

Yeah, that's about the quality of response you'd expect from those bewitched by nostalgia.