This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the original Deus Ex really that good? I'm not sure how I can play the game

#61PanopictonguyPosted 10/21/2013 4:52:06 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
Panopictonguy posted...
No controller input makes it hard to play. I really hate keyboard gaming especially when you need octopus fingers to get full functionality.

lolpeasant

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1xix0

I prefer newb
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#62DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/21/2013 5:04:39 PM(edited)
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
It is good, but it is also a game that is very dated.

With some classic games, people play them years later not understanding what "all the fuss is about". Often that is because some of the things they see in current modern game-design were pioneered by those games.

Replaying it now and REALLY missing the incredible level design in todays games. There are so many varied options and different approaches to nearly every level. It does stealth and rambo both very well and gives you a feeling of success with every room cleared. There is no experience points for killing/incapacitating in a certain way, no bonus for checking every email, no incentive to play a certain style of gameplay (minus a few minor acknowledgements), none of that crud that is so prevalent in todays games that incorporate an rpg like progression system.

You do get some minor perks for exploring but really, how you play is up to you with no real downsides. The latest iteration (a prequel) obviously favored stealth and hacking... to the point it was obnoxious. I still enjoyed it but I felt hacking became such a chore later on yet the min maxer in me didn't want to see the exp go to waste.

Deus ex does it right. Feeds you just the right amount of choice without really pushing one way or the other. You can't carry everything, you can't unlock all skills, you can't unlock every power, but you can choose exactly how you want to play moving forward, one chunk at a time.

It's very rare that you find a game that has so much rewarding exploration. You can play Deus Ex many times before seeing all it has to offer.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#63TimePharaohPosted 10/21/2013 4:55:24 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
It is good, but it is also a game that is very dated.

With some classic games, people play them years later not understanding what "all the fuss is about". Often that is because some of the things they see in current modern game-design were pioneered by those games.

Replaying it now and REALLY missing the incredible level design in todays games. There are so many varied options and different approaches to nearly every level. It does stealth and rambo both very well and gives you a feeling of success with every room cleared. There is no experience points for killing/incapacitating in a certain way, no bonus for checking every email, no incentive to play a certain style of gameplay (minus a few minor acknowledgements), none of that crud that is so prevalent in todays games that incorporate an rpg like progression system.

You do get some minor perks for exploring but really, how you play is up to you with no real downsides. The sequel obviously favored stealth and hacking... to the point it was obnoxious. I still enjoyed it but I felt hacking became such a chore later on yet the min maxer in me didn't want to see the exp go to waste.

Deus ex does it right. Feeds you just the right amount of choice without really pushing one way or the other. You can't carry everything, you can't unlock all skills, you can't unlock every power, but you can choose exactly how you want to play moving forward, one chunk at a time.

It's very rare that you find a game that has so much rewarding exploration. You can play Deus Ex many times before seeing all it has to offer.

Needs moar empty straight corridors tbqh
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
....**** you TimePharaoh - KillerzOverHere
#64PanopictonguyPosted 10/21/2013 4:56:23 PM
JKatarn posted...
Panopictonguy posted...
No controller input makes it hard to play. I really hate keyboard gaming especially when you need octopus fingers to get full functionality.

?? No you don't, I have normal sized hands and had no problem playing Deus-Ex (or any other first-person perspective game)....yes your hands have to move a bit more than on a controller, say hitting the number keys or TAB etc, but it's hardly insurmountable. You just need to play more games with a keyboard, you'll get used to it.

After 20+ years of controller based gaming...I cannot. I'll just try to find a specialty mouse and keyboard that ain't require finger yoga.

I can do basic movements, but when I start having to hit number keys, F keys, or a combination of keys involving shift or control it frustrates me.

I put about an hour into Deus Ex. I like the freedom but I have to find a day when I really can focus to play. My 4 primary upper digits aren't as flexible or reflexive ad my thumbs have been trained to be.
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#65TimePharaohPosted 10/21/2013 4:58:53 PM
Panopictonguy posted...
JKatarn posted...
Panopictonguy posted...

?? No you don't, I have normal sized hands and had no problem playing Deus-Ex (or any other first-person perspective game)....yes your hands have to move a bit more than on a controller, say hitting the number keys or TAB etc, but it's hardly insurmountable. You just need to play more games with a keyboard, you'll get used to it.

After 20+ years of controller based gaming...I cannot. I'll just try to find a specialty mouse and keyboard that ain't require finger yoga.

I can do basic movements, but when I start having to hit number keys, F keys, or a combination of keys involving shift or control it frustrates me.

I put about an hour into Deus Ex. I like the freedom but I have to find a day when I really can focus to play. My 4 primary upper digits aren't as flexible or reflexive ad my thumbs have been trained to be.

Took you like three days to type this probably
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
....**** you TimePharaoh - KillerzOverHere