This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which of These Windows OS Do You Prefer?

#1Madmicky933Posted 10/17/2013 6:53:25 AM
Which One Do You Like The Most? - Results (54 votes)
Windows XP
3.7% (2 votes)
Windows Vista
5.56% (3 votes)
Windows 7
50% (27 votes)
Windows 8
29.63% (16 votes)
I Like Two Equally
9.26% (5 votes)
I Don't Prefer Any One to Another
1.85% (1 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Mine is definitely Windows 7.
Sure, Windows 8 has those few improvements, but I think the OS is more meant for touchscreen devices rather than a desktop.
---
Karma... Is a powerful force..
#2betatechPosted 10/17/2013 7:01:34 AM
Should have an option for W8 with replacement start menu, only reason I'm still on it.
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.
#3AsucaHayashiPosted 10/17/2013 7:03:05 AM
xp.

i reckin it won't be too bad if i only surf on regular sites like this one once they drop support next year.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#4SinisterSlayPosted 10/17/2013 7:17:43 AM(edited)
Well my favorite is Windows 95.
98 was basically 95 but with a bunch of broken features added
ME well.... was 98 with even more broken features added.
2000 was decent but really really slow, inexcusably slow. Run a fresh VM with 2000, then run one with XP, you will see the XP VM runs a lot faster.
Vista, not bad, a bit slow but no useful new features. Added a search to help you find things in the new start menu that was now too difficult to find. But still can't find things. Vista's one good new feature, UAC, got turned off by the majority of users. Which is too bad because UAC effectively stopped most drive by viruses from XP and earlier.
Windows 7, some useful new features like remote assistance Via a code instead of an email, and a search that actually works properly. Although having it search emails is kind of pointless. Also, Windows 7 changed UAC's default and swapped it out for a version that is essentially useless for any new viruses since it can be defeated by just using a white listed process (like explorer) to launch any other process as admin.
-Grey area, not sure if it was Vista or 7 that added automatic elevation for executables with keywords in their names like "install" or "Setup". But it can be an irritating feature if you don't want something elevated.

Windows 8 managed to improve it's thread handling, but added an entire new application layer for the start menu and charms bar. And managed to make the search worse for control panel and help items, but better for application items. Windows 8 dumped the nice GUI improvements that Vista added.

From Rumor, Windows 9 will bring back Aero but keep metro.
From Rumor, Windows 10 will be cloud based and drop all backwards compatibility. (probably Windows RT for the desktop)
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence