This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

AHCI Bios?

#1alfabluePosted 10/17/2013 7:54:50 AM
Hey all, got a bit of a problem here.

So my Dad's computer is a pre built Dell he got back in 2008, and just recently his NVidia Gefore 8300 crapped out. So I went online, found an 8400, and ordered it for him.

Installed it into the computer, but now the computer doesn't boot. At first it flashed an error message saying the AHCI bios wasn't installed, but after running startup repair, it fixed that. Now all that happens is after I get the windows boot screen, it goes black and the comp is completely unresponsive.

It will start just fine without the new video card, and if I run it in safe mode.

Anybody have any idea what I need to do here?
---
To err is to be human, to repent is divine, however neither is Marine Corps policy.
#2AsellusPosted 10/17/2013 8:20:46 AM
Change your hard drive mode to ide in the bios?
#3DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/17/2013 8:25:18 AM
RMA your faulty videocard.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#4El MagnificoPosted 10/17/2013 8:28:37 AM
alfablue posted...
Hey all, got a bit of a problem here.

So my Dad's computer is a pre built Dell he got back in 2008, and just recently his NVidia Gefore 8300 crapped out. So I went online, found an 8400, and ordered it for him.

Installed it into the computer, but now the computer doesn't boot. At first it flashed an error message saying the AHCI bios wasn't installed, but after running startup repair, it fixed that. Now all that happens is after I get the windows boot screen, it goes black and the comp is completely unresponsive.

It will start just fine without the new video card, and if I run it in safe mode.

Anybody have any idea what I need to do here?

Your drivers could be messed up and causing the PC to output a signal not supported by the monitor. You should try booting into Safe Mode and uninstalling the drivers. This should cause Windows to use the default drivers that output a resolution and refresh rate that's compatible with any monitor. At this point you can install the Nvidia drivers again to gain back the features you had. It could also be the integrated graphics interfering with the video card. In that case, you would want to disable the integrated graphics in the BIOS.
#5alfablue(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 11:18:03 AM
Whelp, reinstalling the drivers didn't do jack. Computer works fine without the NVidia drivers installed. I'm at a loss here. It displays during start up but doesn't after boot? Sounds like a driver issues not a hardware issue, but at the same time...

any advice/experience on the issue would be greatly appreciated
---
To err is to be human, to repent is divine, however neither is Marine Corps policy.
#6WyzeGyePosted 10/17/2013 11:23:22 AM
start it in safe mode?
---
---
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GCJ