This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, Path of Exile

#1SzymaaPosted 10/17/2013 8:59:34 AM
Looks like it's finally "coming out" (as a 1.0) in a few days.

What's the general opinion on it? How does it compare to Torchlight or Diablo?
---
~Bow chicka bow wow~
I survived ApocalyPS3 & ApocalyPS3 2: Among Thieves
#2Tyranius2Posted 10/17/2013 9:00:36 AM
too slow
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[
#3r0ge00Posted 10/17/2013 9:05:21 AM
I like it and I don't like it. It was only the beta though when I played. A lot has changed, I should try it again.
#4Doomsday FortePosted 10/17/2013 9:20:50 AM(edited)
Isn't it on Steam now? Edit: Nope, not for a few days. http://store.steampowered.com/app/238960/?snr=1_7_15__13

It's not bad for a free game. I didn't play much of it, just around when it went open beta, so my opinion is likely dated. Characters were largely samey, only they started at different points on the Sphere Grid-like passive ability system. I suppose that also opened up flexibility, but at the same time, you probably should still plan out a build in advance. I didn't get to play much with the socketing, but tying your spells to available color slots was kinda nice since it made choosing between better equipment that'd reduce your spell options interesting.

There wasn't much point in picking up most gear (again, early game) since a lot of it was white/normal items. There's no gold here, so picking up trash items only gives you parts of other trade items. There's a barter system, which I did like, since that seems pretty reasonable instead of merchants just having infinite stores of gold. It'd be possible to just take everything back to town, but the space is limited and there's no autosell function like in Torchlight.

I liked it but I didn't really stick with it. I had a problem with the patcher, since my net's slow and it'd fail on downloading some file and then stop the whole operation altogether. And then I'd have to open it later, wait around ten minutes for it to find the files, and then start all over. I pray they've improved that much by now.
---
Crimson night & Celsion moon, misfiction, not save the Player is Prayer, yes, Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia.
#5ShubPosted 10/17/2013 9:10:10 AM
I started playing it a few days ago, I'm having fun so far.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6HydroCannabinolPosted 10/17/2013 9:27:14 AM
It's an alright game. If you are into isometric ARPGs like Diablo then you will like it.

The barter system is cool, I liked that. The part I didn't like is the combat mechanics. The combat feels slow and clunky compared to other ARPGs and for me that is the game.

The game shines in the part where you can spend hours theorycrafting a build and then committing to it. The passive tree is very unforgiving, however, and you can find yourself being very useless once you hit level 30+ if you don't have a solid build. Kinda like how in D2 if you just threw stat points wherever and had 'average' gear you will most likely get destroyed in Hell mode etc.

It's definitely worth a try if you like that sorta stuff. I had a lot of fun for a few hours but got bored quickly due to limited amount of skills and such.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#7AnimorganimatePosted 10/17/2013 9:28:46 AM
I gave it many chances, at various stages throughout the beta, and it's still just so boring. I wanted to like it too, but it exceeds at being bland.

I'm just going to wait for Grim Dawn, because its alpha is already so polished and fun, and it's what I wanted Diablo III to be.
---
. . . methodical, exacting, and worst of all, patient.
#8Guitar_Hero_GuyPosted 10/17/2013 9:33:49 AM
I think I've had the most fun playing this game than any other, but that's just me. I'm really excited for release, a lot of the skill gems and skill tree changes are really enticing. It's hard to believe it's been in development for 7 years, but I think it reflects well in the gameplay.
---
Steam ID - Jaxxxson
#9zxelmanPosted 10/17/2013 9:36:30 AM
I really like it, and so does my friend. The game shines more with friends like most games do.

You'll need to spend some time looking at what kind of build you'd want, and the passive tree gets more intimidating the more they add to it, but funny enough, it's pretty simple when you start to understand, and I'm no pro at all.

The combat could be better, but to me it's pretty much the same as any other top-down ARPG, with a lot of depth to loot, skills, gems, and just overall setups. Even the potions (which are flasks) have a very neat system to it.

It's definitely not a game for everyone, but in 1.0, they'll make it easier to find items with more sockets to put your gems into, which will help players ease into the harder difficulties.

I'd say get Torchlight 2 if you want a more traditional skill tree, which I still enjoy.
#10AllHailTheDead6Posted 10/17/2013 10:17:48 AM
this is the only game that can live up to Diablo 2

seriously I kinda laughed at how crappy the trailer looks, if I havent already played the game a long time ago I wouldve just skipped it based on that

Ive spent 10 years on D2 and if I still was in my youth I'd gladly spend time on PoE
---
Steam ID AllHailTheDead
*Puts on his robe and wizard hat*