This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Kind of sucks Valve is late to the party with the Steam Machine

#1HypnoCooshPosted 10/17/2013 9:49:28 AM
I game on consoles and really like the concept of the Steam Machine. However Valve is coming in late to the game for early adopters on the console front. PS4 launch is next month and I just don't think I can wait until Q1 or Q2 of 2014 for a Steam Machine.

It would be nice if Valve would get more information out before the PS4 launch because I might consider holding off.

Is what it is I guess, just feel like Valve messed their timing up a bit.
---
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. ~F.Nietzsche~
#2BogePosted 10/17/2013 9:50:37 AM
I agree. I think this whole Steam Machine thing is a big mistake.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#3arleasPosted 10/17/2013 9:54:49 AM
I seriously doubt that The Steam machines are going to be priced to compete with PS4/Xbone hardware. Either they'll be the same price but woefully underpowered, or they'll be the same power or more powerful, but 3x-4x the cost.

People who are still thinking "The steam machine is Valve's console!" will be disappointed that it's not priced like one. The only people that will buy into it are the ones who want a gaming computer but are too lazy to build their own and would have probably bought an alienware.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/r5PgL.gif
#4HypnoCoosh(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 9:59:59 AM
I kind of fall in that category. I would drop 1k on a Steam Machine. But I can't drop 1k on a steam Machine and 500 on a PS4.
---
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. ~F.Nietzsche~
#5AsellusPosted 10/17/2013 10:01:32 AM
Kind of late or not late enough?

What I think could be the Steam Machine's ace in the hole is simply the march of tech pc-side. If they try to fight right now it'd go badly because neither Valve nor general pc-hardware manufacturers are interested in selling stuff at a loss. Still though, what kind of hardware could you reasonably wrangle say a year from now? Two? How will Jaguar apus stand up against Broadwell / Maxwell setups?
#6Orestes417Posted 10/17/2013 10:06:57 AM
You're missing the point. Valve's not doing this to compete with consoles, they're doing it to set themselves up to survive a possible end of PCs as we know them.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#7HypnoCoosh(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 10:08:55 AM
Asellus posted...
Kind of late or not late enough?

What I think could be the Steam Machine's ace in the hole is simply the march of tech pc-side. If they try to fight right now it'd go badly because neither Valve nor general pc-hardware manufacturers are interested in selling stuff at a loss. Still though, what kind of hardware could you reasonably wrangle say a year from now? Two? How will Jaguar apus stand up against Broadwell / Maxwell setups?

I hope your right, but how long would Valve be willing to wait for that good penetration into the market? How long could they hold out?

That really is the strength of the SM, being able to upgrade like a PC but packaged like a console.
---
#8HypnoCoosh(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 10:09:40 AM
Orestes417 posted...
You're missing the point. Valve's not doing this to compete with consoles, they're doing it to set themselves up to survive a possible end of PCs as we know them.

Why what is wrong with PCs?

What is the end of PCs?
---
#9Orestes417Posted 10/17/2013 10:12:38 AM
Missed GabeN's statements on Windows 8 and the general industry movement towards convergence of devices I take it? Ten years from now it's entirely plausible that your main computing device could be a docked cell phone or a box that serves as a whole home media center.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#10snkboiPosted 10/17/2013 10:15:32 AM
steam machine isn't going anywhere but forward..it's a free os that can be used with any pc, laptop, custom build, or the steam machine pc's that are already put together

steam gets bigger every month..between 2-5 years you'll start seeing 8-10+ million online at once
---
i think it's nice