This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Kind of sucks Valve is late to the party with the Steam Machine

#21Darkcloud20Posted 10/17/2013 10:56:47 AM
Boge posted...
HypnoCoosh posted...
I kind of fall in that category. I would drop 1k on a Steam Machine. But I can't drop 1k on a steam Machine and 500 on a PS4.

My guess is the $1000 Steam Machine will be about on par with a PS4, maybe a bit better. It's hard to say, and this is where I think your point is. There are no details about it at all. If they'd have given more information, they might have been able to sway some customers their way. Instead, nobody has an idea of when these machines will hit, how they'll perform, or how much they'll cost. So they just go ahead and buy a PS4 or Xbone and call it a day.

How about the detail that valve won't produce those steam machines besides the prototypes? They said in the announcement that they let other manufactures sell pre build pcs with steam os as steam machines.
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#22KillerTrufflePosted 10/17/2013 11:18:31 AM
Yes, but my understanding is also that Valve will prescribe the specs for those prebuilts, so they remain consistent, which will remove some of the potential confusion for buyers that aren't too familiar with computers.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#23reincarnator07Posted 10/17/2013 11:29:02 AM
HypnoCoosh posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Missed GabeN's statements on Windows 8 and the general industry movement towards convergence of devices I take it? Ten years from now it's entirely plausible that your main computing device could be a docked cell phone or a box that serves as a whole home media center.

Do you buy that?

I don't know people like to spend money and like different tech and gadgets. Kind of hard imagining a large portion of those things going away or becoming one all encompassing device.

Just like how no one has tried to merge a phone, music player, video player, camera, internet browser and gaming device all together?
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#24CC RicersPosted 10/17/2013 11:41:55 AM
I think they will be marketed and priced like the Falcon PCs or those other pre-built gamer PCs in small cases.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#25TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 10/17/2013 12:44:34 PM
CC Ricers posted...
I think they will be marketed and priced like the Falcon PCs or those other pre-built gamer PCs in small cases.

Falcon Northwest? With those prices, there would be no end to the "PC gaming is ridiculously expensive" stereotype.
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#26MangorushXIIIPosted 10/17/2013 1:47:04 PM
PC Game sales are going up.

No, it's not. Stop spreading false information. Both Microsoft and Valve are slowly leaving PC gaming to it's death bed, it's time to leave that thing behind and move on to consoles, I know you hate hearing that but it is the damn truth and you're going to have to accept it.
#27blakegallowayPosted 10/17/2013 2:38:35 PM
MangorushXIII posted...
PC Game sales are going up.

No, it's not. Stop spreading false information. Both Microsoft and Valve are slowly leaving PC gaming to it's death bed, it's time to leave that thing behind and move on to consoles, I know you hate hearing that but it is the damn truth and you're going to have to accept it.

Your statement would make more sense if the gaming market as a whole wasn't shifting towards mobile and casual gaming. And consoles are morphing into PCs faster than the opposite.
---
Sometimes death comes knocking.
Sometimes it tears down the walls.
#28DerPancakePosted 10/17/2013 2:40:27 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if consoles sell much less than last gen.
---
Steam/Origin: DerPancake
#29AlexKidd5000Posted 10/17/2013 5:01:05 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#30AlexKidd5000Posted 10/17/2013 5:04:24 PM
Pretty much this. I can't imagine buying a prebuilt desktop PC, never could. And there are ALOT more people nowadays building there own desktop PC's, and they don't count self built PC's in sales, thats why it looks like PC game sales are increasing, and desktop PC sales are declining. Even low end desktop PC's are somewhat over powered for the average person. And Valve is also kinda protecting itself from Microsoft, because MS is really stupid, and might become just like Apple, where they will get rid of the "desktop" and make Windows just like iOS, only being able to buy/download software through a special store. I wouldn't put it past MS to do that. And I REALLY love Linux.