This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Kind of sucks Valve is late to the party with the Steam Machine

#31clowningPosted 10/17/2013 5:26:53 PM
I think the Steam machine is a step backwards. Let's face it, Valve is trying to control game distribution. But as time goes on, more and more people are hooking up laptops and PCs to their widescreen TVs for gaming, working, streaming, etc. The future is probably going to look more like each house having a central PC/server that wirelessly connects to every TV and device in the house.

Games are getting bigger and bigger, and so are many office and enterprise solutions. This means there will always be a need for local hard storage of games, software, files, backups, etc. To think that a tablet or smartphone will meet those needs is absurd. Sure, there is the cloud, but the cloud is not entirely reliable, and if your internet ever goes down, you are screwed. You need local offline access to software and files, etc.

Valve is just adding more hardware to the collection, when most people want less hardware. Besides, Steambox is just a PC in a small form factor, with a linux-based OS designed specifically to run Steam. What's the point? Anyone with a PC can upgrade their machine for less than the Steambox and plug it into their TV, play Steam games, stream movies, music, etc.

Drops in PC sales does not necessarily mean PCs are dying out. People, as always, prioritize shopping, especially now in a depressed economic climate. So what do they buy if they already have a PC? They buy what they don't have: tablets and smartphones. These devices are highly portable and provide gaming solutions for tons of casuals, not to mention networking, appointment setting, and so on. This does not mean people don't have a PC or laptop in their homes. These tools are still essential for a great deal of work, and provide vastly more power and memory storage.

Valve is just looking at a very short term trend and assuming one cause for it, when many other factors are involved.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#32Treason686Posted 10/18/2013 6:21:05 AM
clowning posted...
I think the Steam machine is a step backwards. Let's face it, Valve is trying to control game distribution. But as time goes on, more and more people are hooking up laptops and PCs to their widescreen TVs for gaming, working, streaming, etc. The future is probably going to look more like each house having a central PC/server that wirelessly connects to every TV and device in the house.

Your son is playing a game. He's hogging all the processing power! Son! Stop that!

Apparently the average user will have the ability to maintain their own server, schedule backups, and won't mind throwing all their eggs in one basket.

This is a silly proposition for many reasons, not to mention unnecessary. There's a reason cloud computing is popular.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#33happyscrub1Posted 10/18/2013 6:42:18 AM
The stupidity in this thread makes me shake my head. *SHM*
---
Never forget.... Building #7
#34clowningPosted 10/18/2013 6:57:52 AM
Treason686 posted...
clowning posted...

Your son is playing a game. He's hogging all the processing power! Son! Stop that!

Apparently the average user will have the ability to maintain their own server, schedule backups, and won't mind throwing all their eggs in one basket.

This is a silly proposition for many reasons, not to mention unnecessary. There's a reason cloud computing is popular.

You really didn't understand what I wrote.... I never said users would have only one back-up. But to think you do not want a local system and local storage is just dumb. The cloud is nice, it has advantages, but it also has vulnerabilities and a high cost the more you use. If for whatever reason you cannot access it, then you can do nothing. Local storage and OS is absolutely crucial. I own a business, and I would never get rid of my local system. I would not get rid of it for my personal files, either.

Then, of course, there are privacy issues. Do you want your government accessing everything you store in the cloud? How about hackers? No, you absolutely must have local storage, a local home system and local OS (as opposed to only having a cloud OS).
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#35AsellusPosted 10/18/2013 9:37:10 AM
I hope your right, but how long would Valve be willing to wait for that good penetration into the market? How long could they hold out?

Define "Holding out". This isn't a traditional console, it's a (or a set of) packaged more or less of the shelf pc components running a customized OS. As long as Valve can continue to romance devs into also making Linux / OSX versions of their games the Steam Machine library will only keep growing even before it's released.
#36KillerTrufflePosted 10/18/2013 9:45:41 AM
Valve can "hold out" as long as they need to - aside from R&D, they'll really have minimal financial investment in actually moving their products. Steamboxes will be made and sold by third parties. SteamOS at this point will basically just have cost of upkeep, which will be nowhere near cost of development...

They can basically just sit back and keep selling games, and let the SteamBox take hold on its own.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#37xanthan1Posted 10/18/2013 9:48:42 AM(edited)
clowning posted...
I think the Steam machine is a step backwards. Let's face it, Valve is trying to control game distribution.

Yes trying to control game distribution by letting you buy games for their service from other places then them.

Right. Totally not a load of ****. Yup. Totally trying to force you to buy from them and no one else by letting you buy from other places and releasing a free OS that will in no way hamper you from buying from Amazon or other online stores beyond learning how to open a web browser in it.

Yeah, that TOTALLY makes sense and isn't some massive pile of steaming stupid. Do us a favor and take off the tinfoil hat.