This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

All Gog.com games are coming to Steam. What's going on?

#51arleasPosted 10/22/2013 2:32:31 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
Fenriswolf posted...
Old games on Steam is simply a waste of time. Why inconvenient yourself with an additional layer of DRM, when GOG offers more, including free soundtracks, wallpapers, and actually making sure the games actually work with modern systems?

Well good thing none of the games on GOG and Steam have DRM on Steam. Does that make you feel better?

What?

Just because something is on steam does not mean it has DRM. Example: I have the original GTA purchased on steam... the game has zero DRM on it. I can launch it from steam, I can launch it from the exe.... I don't have to be logged in to run it.

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_games_on_steam/page1

I don't think that list is 100% correct, but there ARE a lot of games that don't require Steam as DRM... I just verified for myself that Bastion doesn't require steam to be running. I can start it from the exe...Nimbus (a game I picked at random farther down the list) ran without steam...

Sega Classics ran without steam...

Later on in that same thread they try to say that HL2 would run without steam, but I tried running hl2.exe and it still brought up steam so, like I said, the whole thread isn't 100% correct...
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png
#52TimePharaohPosted 10/22/2013 2:39:51 AM(edited)
arleas posted...
Just because something is on steam does not mean it has DRM. Example: I have the original GTA purchased on steam... the game has zero DRM on it. I can launch it from steam, I can launch it from the exe.... I don't have to be logged in to run it.

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_games_on_steam/page1

I don't think that list is 100% correct, but there ARE a lot of games that don't require Steam as DRM... I just verified for myself that Bastion doesn't require steam to be running. I can start it from the exe...Nimbus (a game I picked at random farther down the list) ran without steam...

Sega Classics ran without steam...

Later on in that same thread they try to say that HL2 would run without steam, but I tried running hl2.exe and it still brought up steam so, like I said, the whole thread isn't 100% correct...

HL2 runs fine (your post intrigued me so I tried). Just make sure you launch hl2.exe through the Common/Half-Life 2 folder and not the Username/Half-Life 2 one.
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
....**** you TimePharaoh - KillerzOverHere
#53KidIcaroots(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 2:43:21 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
Ah yes, good ol' "derp I don't have an argument, and I know it, but I can't just admit how wrong I am". Literally has absolutely nothing to back his incredibly stupid claim but just keeps repeating it (if you say it enough times you'll believe it!), gets about a dozen educated, logical points why he's wrong from someone who actually knows what he's talking about, suddenly resorts to "o ur a troll". Completely wrong use of the term, by the way, but I guess that's expected from a derp. You're cute when you're embarrassingly wrong. Keep up the good work.

You are the one without an argument. You are trying to debate out of your ass, without presenting a single reliable source for the nonsense you are spouting. It seems you are unable to read properly, given your incapacity to respond to what I actually posted instead of insisting on your misguided, ignorant opinions.

However, I must try to enlighten thy. Here is an excerpt from an article on Dtoid about this subject:

Neil Barnden of Stainless Games, the Carmageddon developer, filled me in on the assistance GOG provided his studio when it came to adding the classic title to the platform's library.

"When it came to preparing the original Carmageddon for release as an installable package, we were able to largely hand over the task entirely to the 'GOGologists' to do the work. As we were really busy already, working on Carmageddon: Reincarnation and the mobile versions of the original game, this was a great boon for us," Barnden informs me. "We really didnít have to worry about the work; the guys at GOG just got on with it and came back to us with some outstanding technical questions towards the end of the project."

You can read the rest here: http://www.destructoid.com/gog-indies-nostalgia-and-the-evils-of-drm-258672.phtml

Also, you should stop using terms like derpy. It's juvenile.
#54TimePharaohPosted 10/22/2013 2:56:36 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#55TimePharaohPosted 10/22/2013 2:58:29 AM
Ah accidentally deleted it...

KidIcaroots posted...
You are the one without an argument. You are trying to debate out of your ass, without presenting a single reliable source for the nonsense you are spouting. It seems you are unable to read properly, given your incapacity to respond to what I actually posted instead of insisting on your misguided, ignorant opinions.

However, I must try to enlighten thy. Here is an excerpt from an article on Dtoid about this subject:

Neil Barnden of Stainless Games, the Carmageddon developer, filled me in on the assistance GOG provided his studio when it came to adding the classic title to the platform's library.

"When it came to preparing the original Carmageddon for release as an installable package, we were able to largely hand over the task entirely to the 'GOGologists' to do the work. As we were really busy already, working on Carmageddon: Reincarnation and the mobile versions of the original game, this was a great boon for us," Barnden informs me. "We really didnít have to worry about the work; the guys at GOG just got on with it and came back to us with some outstanding technical questions towards the end of the project."

You can read the rest here: http://www.destructoid.com/gog-indies-nostalgia-and-the-evils-of-drm-258672.phtml

Also, you should stop using terms like derpy. It's juvenile.

Which proves literally nothing considering Carmageddon isn't on Steam.

Your proof that GOG and Steam games aren't the same version, is that a game not on Steam is on GOG? 10/10 well done. But lets pretend it WAS on Steam. All that proves is that GOG works on the game to rerelease it. Are you saying that somehow transfers license and ownership to them? Why would that mean that the publisher doesn't then hand that over to Steam? GOG gets to sell the game. The developers still own their game and put it in a store. Or do you think it's more realistic that the publisher sits on the game for 10 years, then gives it to GOG one day who does the work, releases it, then the publisher does their own work on it, and gives it to Steam couple weeks later? lolz

What am I "talking out my ass" about and can't provide evidence for? Lets see

1. Steam and GOG games run the exact same (and through DOSBox, whatever the same)? Proof: Go look at any game on both services.
2. GOG and Steam versions are the same. Proof: same files, run the same, same literal version of the game, also see the identical screenshots (and even sometimes screenshots tagged as GOG's) on both storefronts, implying that the same party (hmm...the publisher?!?!) provided the release.
3. Steam versions have no additional Steam functions. Proof: ....go look? SS2, IHNMAIMS, Shadow Man, etc. etc. whatever, none of them have Steamworks, achievements, any Steam-specific function.
4. "So it's just a coincidence that a game that hasn't been on Steam for X amount of years, suddenly shows up at the same time as the "new improved modern GOG version", and is exactly the same" Proof: ....go look at release dates.

What exactly is there to prove? It's literally objective data. You just have some blinders on for some odd reason. But, then again, you were about to get into an argument that Steam is DRM...you don't know how the services work.
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
....**** you TimePharaoh - KillerzOverHere
#56KidIcaroots(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 12:54:13 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
Which proves literally nothing considering Carmageddon isn't on Steam.

Your proof that GOG and Steam games aren't the same version, is that a game not on Steam is on GOG? 10/10 well done. But lets pretend it WAS on Steam. All that proves is that GOG works on the game to rerelease it. Are you saying that somehow transfers license and ownership to them? Why would that mean that the publisher doesn't then hand that over to Steam? GOG gets to sell the game. The developers still own their game and put it in a store. Or do you think it's more realistic that the publisher sits on the game for 10 years, then gives it to GOG one day who does the work, releases it, then the publisher does their own work on it, and gives it to Steam couple weeks later? lolz

What am I "talking out my ass" about and can't provide evidence for? Lets see

1. Steam and GOG games run the exact same (and through DOSBox, whatever the same)? Proof: Go look at any game on both services.
2. GOG and Steam versions are the same. Proof: same files, run the same, same literal version of the game, also see the identical screenshots (and even sometimes screenshots tagged as GOG's) on both storefronts, implying that the same party (hmm...the publisher?!?!) provided the release.
3. Steam versions have no additional Steam functions. Proof: ....go look? SS2, IHNMAIMS, Shadow Man, etc. etc. whatever, none of them have Steamworks, achievements, any Steam-specific function.
4. "So it's just a coincidence that a game that hasn't been on Steam for X amount of years, suddenly shows up at the same time as the "new improved modern GOG version", and is exactly the same" Proof: ....go look at release dates.

What exactly is there to prove? It's literally objective data. You just have some blinders on for some odd reason. But, then again, you were about to get into an argument that Steam is DRM...you don't know how the services work.

I own more than a few games both on Steam and Gog.com, and all of them are different versions. Usually, Steam has the American version and Gog.com has the European version. Also, DosBox can be configured in different ways, making it control better or worse, be more or less compatible, etc..

But more importantly, if you only take one thing away from this discussion, let it be this: YOUR OPINION IS NOT A FACT. You have provided no facts, no sources, nothing but baseless yapping.