This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I won a Apple Ipad through my work, and I am trying to figure out what to do.

#21ShubPosted 10/17/2013 12:30:24 PM(edited)
Killah Priest posted...
If he doesn't like using apple products how is it not a trap to invest in apps tied to apple stores?

The way you had originally said it sounded a lot like you calling Apple iTunes a trap regardless of one's appreciation for Apple products.
I don't see it as a trap to buy stuff for a device you own unless you simply object to funneling money to its manufacturer in any way on moral grounds.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#22Killah PriestPosted 10/17/2013 12:27:59 PM
The way you had originally said it sounded a lot like you calling Apple iTunes a trap regardless of your appreciation for Apple products.
I don't see it as a trap to buy stuff for a device you own unless you simply object to funneling money to its manufacturer in any way on moral grounds.

No, I just meant that if later down the line you decide you didn't like the iPad as much as you thought and wanted to switch to android you may feel trapped due to your investment in apps.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#23ShubPosted 10/17/2013 12:30:53 PM
Yeah, that is a potential pitfall.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#24Xcon3(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 12:38:55 PM(edited)
As far as the contest details, I didn't have to pay anything, they were just having a drawing that day and if I was working that day I was eligible for it.

And yeah, they charge a 40% tax on anything won in the company. Once in awhile they offer "tax free" prizes, but most of the time the 40% is mandatory and if you win you have to sign something saying you will pay the "tax" on it.

Regardless of the "tax" I'm still looking at a $200-300 profit if I sell it or get it returned. By I also have been meaning to look into tablets...

The nexus 7 sounds good, I might look into that too.

Appreciate the input everyone.
---
Brawl Code: 1032-0922-1772 Brawl Name: D
RIP: Orlando of the Axe Karma: 1642 --he delivered!
#25snkboiPosted 10/17/2013 2:49:21 PM
Shub posted...
snkboi posted...
40% tax LOL what?

That's about how much you'd pay the government if you won the lottery. It's a similar situation.

oh i wouldn't know when i try to win anything i win it in canada where theirs no taxes in prizes including lottery and gambling
---
i think it's nice
#26Mega_TyrantPosted 10/17/2013 3:07:24 PM
Why the eff is the tax 40%?
---
Bludgeo'd for hammer...
GIGABYTE GA-Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i7-4770K | Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 | SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD
#27LB3Posted 10/17/2013 3:56:22 PM
Why do you have to pay tax? My job gives away all kinds of stuff as prizes including Ipads. The winner never pays a dime.
---
PSN: Bwleon7 Steam: bwleon79
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. -Albert Einstein
#28clowningPosted 10/17/2013 4:37:59 PM
LB3 posted...
Why do you have to pay tax? My job gives away all kinds of stuff as prizes including Ipads. The winner never pays a dime.

In the US, everything given as a prize is taxable. So if you win something, you are required to pay a federal tax. Welcome to the USA. We tax everything, even the air you breathe (yes we actually do, indirectly, have a tax on air). We are some of the most taxed people in the world, and it's all so Uncle Sam can buy the votes of moochers and union members.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#29DignatoReRaisedPosted 10/17/2013 4:41:42 PM
LB3 posted...

If you live in the US, either your employer or the winners of the prizes are breaking the law.
---
DON'T F*** WITH THE SENATOR!
NANOMACHINES, SON!
#30LordSeiferPosted 10/17/2013 4:45:51 PM
oh america, you so crazy.

shouldn't it at least be taxed at a level comparable to your overall income tax.

we dont tax that stuff in canada, cause really, why would you?
the lottery already pays most of its money to the government. and in the event of prizes like this or a car, wow what a hassle. you win a car, give us 15k.
---
^ this