This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How easy is it to hook a computer to a HDTV?

#1TerantatekPosted 10/17/2013 11:51:45 AM
I wanna play Telltale games on my big screen. Is it as easy as moving the DVI cable from my monitor to the TV? Or is there some prerequisites?
---
"The best revenge is to live a happy life"
Love, Peace, 420-14/7. Living in Euphoria
#2FuRiOuS 198774623Posted 10/17/2013 11:54:17 AM
If your PC has an HDMI out, just plug it up the same way you would anything else with an HDMI cable.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC on 6/3/2003
#3Terantatek(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 12:01:03 PM
FuRiOuS 198774623 posted...
If your PC has an HDMI out, just plug it up the same way you would anything else with an HDMI cable.

My monitor doesn't have an HDMI output but my tv has 4.
---
#4sonicteam2k1Posted 10/17/2013 12:03:19 PM
Terantatek posted...
FuRiOuS 198774623 posted...

My monitor doesn't have an HDMI output but my tv has 4.

wtf?
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#5R i c kPosted 10/17/2013 12:09:58 PM(edited)
There's a good chance your computer has an HDMI output that you can plug into your TV's input. If so, do that and you're all set.

If you only have a DVI output then you'll need a DVI-to-HDMI converter which will only carry over the video. For the audio you can either use your PC speakers or you can run the audio to something else like a home theater system with 3.5mm-to-RCA wires/adapters or an optical digital out line.
---
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D
#6sonicteam2k1Posted 10/17/2013 12:11:02 PM
R i c k posted...
There's a good chance your computer has an HDMI output that you can plug into your TV's input. If so, do that and you're all set.

If you only have a DVI output then you'll need a DVI-to-HDMI converter which will only carry over the video. For the audio you can either use your PC speakers or you can run the audio to something else like a home theater system with 3.5mm-to-RCA wires/adapters or an optical digital out line.

I use DVI to HDMI cables (no converter) for my PC to TC needs. I use optical for sound.
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#7Terantatek(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 12:11:35 PM
R i c k posted...

Ohh ya my GPU has a couple HDMI outs. My bad. Early in the morning lol
---
#803251Posted 10/17/2013 12:36:33 PM
Terantatek posted...
R i c k posted...

Ohh ya my GPU has a couple HDMI outs. My bad. Early in the morning lol
\

Just think of it in setting up a console. Just make sure your TV is setup for "FULL SCREEN" or "Pixel per Pixel" so you won't have to screw around with overscan settings on the PC side
#9GravyButtPosted 10/17/2013 1:44:36 PM
I personally loved gaming on it, but was impossible for me to web browse easily on. Youd think that on a 47" screen the text would be bigger, but for some reason it was not (in 1080p) without having to ctrl+ nonstop in firefox. Kind of ruined it for me. Still no solution ive found yet, but yet again im not the best with computers haha.
#10AsucaHayashiPosted 10/17/2013 1:47:49 PM
GravyButt posted...
I personally loved gaming on it, but was impossible for me to web browse easily on. Youd think that on a 47" screen the text would be bigger, but for some reason it was not (in 1080p) without having to ctrl+ nonstop in firefox. Kind of ruined it for me. Still no solution ive found yet, but yet again im not the best with computers haha.

you can change the browser font somehow.

i did it for my parents when they set up a computer in the livingroom.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/