This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recovery Disk Question

#1dragonballEEEPosted 10/17/2013 1:29:14 PM
My desktop computer went out (it won't get past the boot screen, the dots spin for about 10 minutes and then it tries to go into repair mode but that doesn't do anything and i'm on Windows 8)....if I use a recovery disk made by my HP laptop, will that work to be able to refresh the PC? I'm fine to wait if I have to (i'm on microsoft expertzone, and coincidentally they're giving away copies of Windows 8.1), but I just want to know if there's something I can use in the meantime. I'm just asking because I know it's a branded laptop compared to the desktop being one that I built myself, so i didn't know if you guys would see any compatibility issues coming from that. Actually, another good point to mention is that the desktop is currently on 8.1 preview, so would it even work??
#2WerdnAndreWPosted 10/17/2013 1:42:09 PM
The recovery disk from HP will probably install drivers and software for the laptop it came from. I think you can download a Windows 8 ISO from Microsoft if you have your windows key.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#3dragonballEEE(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 1:51:15 PM
Ok cool. I think for now, I'll just wait and see about the new one that i'm getting. I just hope that it's not a download only version, mailing the disc would be easier.