This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My first gaming rig... Help me please!

#1jacobkisnerPosted 10/17/2013 2:22:05 PM
Hi there,

I've been a console gamer my whole life, but after playing battlefield 3 on a high end pc, I saw the potential of pc gaming. So here is my build, please tell me what you think, if there's anything I should upgrade, beginner tips, etc. Thank you guys... Glad to be here :)

Specs:

CPU: Intel Quad Core i7 2600k
GPU: Nvidia GTX 560 (ASUS OC model)
RAM: 12GB 1600 MHz
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67 (revision 3)
2x120GB OCZ SSD in RAID0 configuration for startup drive
1TB 7200rpm drive for games and files
Cooler Master case with a lot of fans. (Always runs very cool).

What is going to give out on me first? What should my first upgrade be? Thanks for all of your help!
---
PSN: J-Kisner
#2DerPancakePosted 10/17/2013 2:23:22 PM
What is your budget?
---
Steam/Origin: DerPancake
#3Killah PriestPosted 10/17/2013 2:24:54 PM
more fans does not always mean better and can actually make your airflow worse.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#4jacobkisner(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 2:28:48 PM
For now, the budget is gone after getting this, but I have no idea what the weakest chain in this PC is... I wouldn't even know where to begin upgrading (very new to this). It runs well on all of the games that are at least a year old on Max settings, but the newer things I'm needing to make some graphical concessions on to get consistent framerates.
---
PSN: J-Kisner
#5Killah PriestPosted 10/17/2013 2:35:00 PM
my apologies I didn't realize it was already up and running.

cpu and gpu would be the things to go for first, you got room to work with there it will support up to the i7 3770k before having to replace the motherboard.

don't know what sort of PSU you have tho since you didn't list it.
---
#6fataliPosted 10/17/2013 2:46:37 PM(edited)
I have the same video card, and is struggling to keep 60 fps in games ever since I got a 1080p display, if you use a lower resolution, or don't mind playing on medium settings, it should be fine for a while.

But that is the first thing I would upgrade.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#7reincarnator07Posted 10/17/2013 3:01:06 PM
I'd not bother replacing the CPU, as Ivy Bridge (and Haswell for that matter) is a very small upgrade and you'll need to upgrade your mobo.

The GPU is getting a little long in the tooth, although it's still a very capable card. Upgrade that first, along with possibly another hard drive. I hope you do regular backups of those SSDs.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#8Killah PriestPosted 10/17/2013 3:11:27 PM
I'd not bother replacing the CPU

he can upgrade the cpu without upgrading the motherboard although it wouldn't be that major the motherboard does support 3770k. Would be a minor jump in all programs and use less power.
---
#9link510Posted 10/17/2013 5:52:29 PM
Killah Priest posted...
I'd not bother replacing the CPU

he can upgrade the cpu without upgrading the motherboard although it wouldn't be that major the motherboard does support 3770k. Would be a minor jump in all programs and use less power.

Still wouldn't be worth the cost.

My advice is to spend the money on a new cooler and OC the i7, it should go pretty far with that motherboard and a decent cooler.

But probably more urgent than a new heatsink is a new GPU. The 560 is what I have (non-ti) and it's a great card, runs things fine at 1080p but no doubt it's getting on in age. I'm not really up to date on GPU's, but a 7970 or something would do you fine. I'm sure someone's got a more thought out suggestion, but budget is a huge factor here, too.
#10Killah PriestPosted 10/17/2013 6:26:45 PM(edited)
I never said it was worth the cost, in fact I said it would be minor but possible.

You are correct tho I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it in the first place, I was more thinking the things that were even possible to upgrade before replacing the motherboard and not really considering the price vs "increase" in performance. Your recommendation of a cooler and a GPU is better advice than CPU + GPU.
---