This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why did they even add that "start button" in Windows 8.1???

#11Orestes417Posted 10/17/2013 3:13:00 PM
Treason686 posted...
Orestes417 posted...
They added it because having a hot, clickable corner without visual cues was confusing people. And also as a giant middle finger to people who won't shut the **** up about how they can't take 30 seconds to adjust from the start menu.

What do you mean, "Can't take 30 seconds to adjust from the start menu?"

Question:
Do you think that Windows 8 would have been better received by the general population if, A) It had a start button from the get-go, and B) it automatically booted to the desktop except on touch interfaces?

I mean that the differences between operating the start screen and the start menu are trivial. As for how it would've been received, I doubt it'd change much. The start button should have been there from day one for discoverability but beyond that the whining would've been there regardless.

People were making ill informed and frankly stupid comments about the UI before there were even alpha builds available to actually use.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#12KillerTrufflePosted 10/17/2013 3:18:43 PM
Well, I'm still not a fan of the actual Metro UI personally... I find it large and clunky in terms of design - ideal for tablets, not for computers. It's not that it's useless, just unattractive and not great for computers. Pretty much the only time I use Metro is when I type a program name to run - I don't remember the last time I actually used any of the shortcuts in Metro. Anything I run frequently is pinned to the taskbar, and anything else I can run with a couple of keystrokes.

Then there's the charms bar, which is TERRIBLY designed for dual screen setups, and the fact that you can't shut down without either using the keyboard or installing some third-party option to replace the shutdown command.

So I do think the complaints about the UI are valid - I don't like it.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#13KaiRyusakiPosted 10/17/2013 3:22:38 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Well, I'm still not a fan of the actual Metro UI personally... I find it large and clunky in terms of design - ideal for tablets, not for computers. It's not that it's useless, just unattractive and not great for computers. Pretty much the only time I use Metro is when I type a program name to run - I don't remember the last time I actually used any of the shortcuts in Metro. Anything I run frequently is pinned to the taskbar, and anything else I can run with a couple of keystrokes.

Then there's the charms bar, which is TERRIBLY designed for dual screen setups, and the fact that you can't shut down without either using the keyboard or installing some third-party option to replace the shutdown command.

Cant you use Ctrl+X, "C", "shutdown -f -s -t 0"?

I know that's an insanely crazy thing to suggest. should be easier than that
#14Orestes417Posted 10/17/2013 3:24:32 PM
I'm not seeing the freakish aversion to keypresses. They're orders of magnitude faster than screwinh with the mouse
---
#15KillerTrufflePosted 10/17/2013 3:27:23 PM
As I said. I'm not implying it doesn't work, but seriously... when is the last time someone had to actually create their own shortcut with command line parameters in a mainstream OS *just* to turn their computer off? Yes there are several ways to shut down, but none of them were obvious on initial use, and a super basic function like that *should* be obvious. It was a stupid design decision.

And like I also said, shutdown is only one of the problems. The UI complains are valid.
---
#16gastamanPosted 10/17/2013 3:27:33 PM
KaiRyusaki posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

8.1 allows you to shutdown by right clicking the Start Button and selecting shutdown, then shutdown.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#17KaiRyusakiPosted 10/17/2013 3:28:33 PM
gastaman posted...
KaiRyusaki posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

8.1 allows you to shutdown by right clicking the Start Button and selecting shutdown, then shutdown.

Sorry, didnt update to 8.1 so I didnt know this yet.
So I'm assuming you can just Ctrl+X, S, S if you wanted to shutdown without a mouse
#18Orestes417Posted 10/17/2013 3:28:57 PM
That I'll agree with. There was a lot of non-obvious features in Windows 8 that should've either been more discoverable or made more obvious using the old school method of backhanding the the user with the manual upon first boot.
---
#19KillerTrufflePosted 10/17/2013 3:29:16 PM
Orestes417 posted...
I'm not seeing the freakish aversion to keypresses. They're orders of magnitude faster than screwinh with the mouse

The angle I often sit at my desk means it is not convenient to reach the keyboard - I'm often using only my mouse. I actually have to scoot over toward it, as it isn't always right within reach. I should be able to shut the computer down with my mouse, without having to set up any custom shortcuts or anything.

It was a stupid design decision.
---
#20KaiRyusakiPosted 10/17/2013 3:33:27 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Orestes417 posted...

The angle I often sit at my desk means it is not convenient to reach the keyboard - I'm often using only my mouse. I actually have to scoot over toward it, as it isn't always right within reach. I should be able to shut the computer down with my mouse, without having to set up any custom shortcuts or anything.

It was a stupid design decision.

Oops, I misread. You wanna shutdown without a KEYBOARD? Dont you just move your mouse to the bottom right corner, choose settings, power, shutdown?