This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why did they even add that "start button" in Windows 8.1???

#21KillerTrufflePosted 10/17/2013 3:37:35 PM
KaiRyusaki posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
Orestes417 posted...
I'm not seeing the freakish aversion to keypresses. They're orders of magnitude faster than screwinh with the mouse

The angle I often sit at my desk means it is not convenient to reach the keyboard - I'm often using only my mouse. I actually have to scoot over toward it, as it isn't always right within reach. I should be able to shut the computer down with my mouse, without having to set up any custom shortcuts or anything.

It was a stupid design decision.

Oops, I misread. You wanna shutdown without a KEYBOARD? Dont you just move your mouse to the bottom right corner, choose settings, power, shutdown?

Also easier said than done, thanks to the way the charms bar works with multiple screens (something else MS screwed up). You have to get your mouse into the hot zone on the right side of the screen without spilling over onto the second monitor. Miss and hit the second screen by even a pixel, and you lose the charms bar. It's like a f***ing precision aiming game just to get the thing open.

And even then, wrestling the charms bar open > Settings > Power > Shutdown is not the most straightforward process. I absolutely do miss the 2-click shutdown from Windows 7. I do like hearing you can finally at least right-click the Start button in 8.1 and shut down from there... that's an improvement. I don't have 8.1 yet tho. Might have to upgrade.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#22gastamanPosted 10/17/2013 4:11:56 PM(edited)
KillerTruffle posted...
You have to get your mouse into the hot zone on the right side of the screen without spilling over onto the second monitor. Miss and hit the second screen by even a pixel, and you lose the charms bar. It's like a f***ing precision aiming game just to get the thing open.

Honestly, I've never had an issue. If activating from the top right hot corner, just aim for the top edge of the monitor and slide the mouse cursor along the edge to the corner. When you get to the right edge of the screen, the mouse cursor won't be able to go right anymore and the "Charms" will activate.

Edit: Just for fun, I tried this and was actually able to activate the "Charms" with relative ease even by placing the mouse cursor in the bottom left corner over the Start Button and pushing (not guiding with my hand, just pushed the mouse in the general direction that I wanted it to go) the mouse to move the cursor to the top right hot corner. Activated the "Charms" almost every single time.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#23Darkcloud20Posted 10/17/2013 7:22:43 PM
lazycomplife posted...
It doesn't do what people want it to.

Yeah it doesn't do what I want it to do. I want it to be not there because the start button is useless since my keyboard actually has a key called windows key that does what the windows button does.
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#24hitokiri13Posted 10/17/2013 7:43:19 PM
Orestes417 posted...
They added it because having a hot, clickable corner without visual cues was confusing people. And also as a giant middle finger to people who won't shut the **** up about how they can't take 30 seconds to adjust from the start menu.

Maybe it was better they cater it. Problem solve. lol MSFT is just stubborn and don't want to listen to there customers.

Anyway I don't have problem with Windows 8. I'm just point it out how simple to cater both sides.
---
Originally Posted by Manicdan
using a OCed quad for torrenting is like robbing your local video store with a rocket launcher.
#25Mudkip57Posted 10/17/2013 9:52:46 PM
KillerTruffle posted...

You have to get your mouse into the hot zone on the right side of the screen without spilling over onto the second monitor. Miss and hit the second screen by even a pixel, and you lose the charms bar. It's like a f***ing precision aiming game just to get the thing open.

I just make a circle motion at that corner of my screen. So long as I touch the corner, I can cross over on my second monitor and my cursor will end up on the Settings button
#26AcquirePosted 10/17/2013 10:00:56 PM(edited)
windows key + c brings up the desktop charms thing. Windows key + i brings up the settings side bar. With the knowledge of those two shortcuts windows 8 is a breeze to use. I actually like it more than 7 now. Performance wise it is noticeably faster.
---
And if you hear as the warm night falls. The silver sound from a time so strange. Sing to me, sing to me.
#27voldothegr8Posted 10/17/2013 10:31:56 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
They added it because having a hot, clickable corner without visual cues was confusing people. And also as a giant middle finger to people who won't shut the **** up about how they can't take 30 seconds to adjust from the start menu.

What's wrong with giving people choices? I don't like how MS basically says "we're changing it and you will like it." I understand their stance, touch is the future, but until that's a complete reality why do they have to be so damn stubborn and not give users the option to have a classic start menu? What harm does it do? It's especially stupid for them to not add it when there are so many free programs out there that remedy the problem.

It's no small matter either, Lenovo is putting their own start menu on all future W8 machines because they're tired of all the customer b****ing MS has caused them. That to me speaks volumes on what a stupid decision it was to remove it.
---
Oakland Raiders 2013: 2-4 | THE Ohio State: 18-0
Oda break tracker 2013- 8 (3)
#28RavlinPosted 10/18/2013 2:47:23 AM
voldothegr8 posted...
What's wrong with giving people choices? I don't like how MS basically says "we're changing it and you will like it." I understand their stance, touch is the future, but until that's a complete reality why do they have to be so damn stubborn and not give users the option to have a classic start menu? What harm does it do? It's especially stupid for them to not add it when there are so many free programs out there that remedy the problem.

It's no small matter either, Lenovo is putting their own start menu on all future W8 machines because they're tired of all the customer b****ing MS has caused them. That to me speaks volumes on what a stupid decision it was to remove it.

I imagine that if the outcry was large enough and there were no alternatives then Microsoft would have been forced to make the old start menu an option. But now there are so many options that they can simply point to them and say those who want one can get one anytime.

Sure, Lenovo added a start menu. Did you notice that they're not going with a completely free one but one with an app store built in? The Pokki option is all about selling folks apps. No doubt Lenovo is getting paid per Pokki start menu installed or getting a kickback from the apps purchased via the Pokki Store.

Don't get wrong, I don't think it's bad for a company to make money but their decision wasn't made out of concern for their customers. It was just another opportunity to slide bloatware onto their computers.
#29Knighted DragonPosted 10/18/2013 11:37:47 AM
This board always amuses me because it is the only forum that I've ever seen mass together and defend Windows 8. Their arguments about why it was better to remove basic things are just "Well you can press four buttons and do the same thing!" or "You should just get used to the new style!" which don't even make sense, why should you have to get used to an inferior interface when you had one that worked perfectly fine before? I've used Windows 8 quite a bit and still hate it, and almost everyone I know IRL hates it too.
---
Matthew 7:21
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2492/gyenyame.jpg
#30DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/18/2013 11:41:45 AM
Knighted Dragon posted...
"Well you can press four buttons and do the same thing!"

Give 2 examples please. I've heard this way too many times. The ONLY thing that took longer in normal win8 was the shutdown sequence which has been remedied in 8.1
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1